Brine Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokin relaxin steve

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 16, 2010
South Jersey
Hey Everyone... I am brining my first Turkey this year... its a big boy 22 pounder... I am cooking in the oven (i know i know shame on me)... but here is my question... How long should I brine the bird for... i have searched the Internet and have seen sooooo many different times... I figured i would go to where everyone knows best.... good old SMF!

My Brine (in case you need it for the time period)

2 gallons of water

2 cups of kosher salt

2 cups dark brown sugar

2 whole onions

1 tangerine

1 hot cherry pepper

Rosemary

Thyme

Pepper Corns

Please let me know how long the bird should sit in the Brine... I put it in at 7:30AM this morning b4 work... also i heard its good to let them rest a bit after the brinning process, is this true?

i usually go about 12 hrs on the brine .

If this a processed bird that has solution added ,i would cut the salt in half on the brine.

it is ok to rest it.  won't hurt a thing.

Actually how long to brine depends on whats in the brine especially the amount of salt and acid in the brine.

I am only doing a 4lb breast this year, boneless. I have done it in the past (http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/84496/turkey-breast) but don't remember if I brined the boneless version (I did brine a bone-in version, which is basically a turkey with the limbs removed.)

My question is:

Do you still brine a boneless breast that has "up to a 17% solution for tenderness" from the factory/mfr? Will it do anything? How does the brine (if possible) displace the solution already in it?

icon_cool.gif

I would not recommand that you brine it for anymore then the 12 hours like Bob (eman) said.

One that big is best cooked in the oven anyway unless you are going to splatchcock

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky