BRINE FOR PORK - Favorites ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hawging It

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 1, 2019
Southeast Mississippi
Greetings fellow smokers. I have a good injection that I use for Pork butts and Loin roast but I want to try a brine and let em soak overnight. I would love to see your brine recipe. Note: If you say POPS, well, I have searched all over and can't find it. Thanks in advance.

pop's brine 1 gallon water, 1/3 to 1 cup of salt, 1 cup of sugar, 1 cup brown sugar, 1 tbsp. cure #1 soak 1 day for every 1/4 inch of thickness plus 2 days you can also add any flavors you like to it. also if you don't want the hammy taste delete the cure and then just use as a regular brine.

Reactions: Hawging It
pop's brine 1 gallon water, 1/3 to 1 cup of salt, 1 cup of sugar, 1 cup brown sugar, 1 tbsp. cure #1 soak 1 day for every 1/4 inch of thickness plus 2 days you can also add any flavors you like to it. also if you don't want the hammy taste delete the cure and then just use as a regular brine.
Thanks a lot. Simple enough. I will give it a shot minus the cure.

Salt is the only thing that will penetrate completely into the meat, bringing with it some of the water. The salt does four things, increases and locks in moisture, tenderizes and improves flavor.

All the other herbs, spices, sugar, wine and whatnots, stay on the surface of the meat, penetration is minimal at an 1/8" or so.

Soda used as a brine still only flavors and tenderizes the outside of the meat, unless salt is added.
And still it just the salt and water in the soda that penetrates.

Same goes for some fruit juices, and they have to be unpasteurized for their natural enzymes to effectively tenderize.

Salt is the only thing that will penetrate completely into the meat, bringing with it some of the water. The salt does four things, increases and locks in moisture, tenderizes and improves flavor.

All the other herbs, spices, sugar, wine and whatnots, stay on the surface of the meat, penetration is minimal at an 1/8" or so.

Soda used as a brine still only flavors and tenderizes the outside of the meat, unless salt is added.
And still it just the salt and water in the soda that penetrates.

Same goes for some fruit juices, and they have to be unpasteurized for their natural enzymes to effectively tenderize.
Great information. Thanks

works equally as good for pork, too!

works equally as good for pork, too!
This is awesome pops.! Thanks for posting these. I will be all over these. Thanks again!!

That's what I use.

That's what I use.
Thanks Steve. Appreciate it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky