Brick smoker - Compete how to

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hi Wes, 

What type of mortar should I use for firebrick?
Sorry for the delay David.  A lot going on the past couple weeks...

For no hotter then  a smoker gets, I used  1-1  type S.     

Some use fireclay, but it really doesn't get that hot.   In my oven I'm working on, I did use a fireclay mix.  But, a oven gets 700-800 F also.   BTW we have fired and I'm in love!....

Even in the firebox of a smoker, its not going to get over 3-400 F.   If you feel it need fireclay, by all means use it.  A 50lb bag is pretty cheap.   It does take it a while to cure out though.  

Wes I am a mason in Nashville tn, I have a guy who wants me to build him a smoker like yours. I have some in depth questions about the smoke chamber and damper system. Would you be up to a phone conversation as I'm not sure email will answer what I need?? Awesome work by the way!!

Hey Wes, No questions, yet! I just wanted to give you a big thanks for being so open and helpful! I am getting ready to embark on an outdoor kitchen on a concrete slab patio. I'm a New Yorker relocated to Argentina. The space is a little limited, and I was searching forever for a vertical smoker design. Yours was the perfect fit. Plus your info was soooo helpful. But first the Argentine style grill is first up, which isn't all that far from your fireplace grill setup you have. Then the smoker, then a brick oven, then a firepit for what they call asadores estaca. I'll be sure to take pics and start a thread as I get started. Thanks again!

Thanks for the kind words John.   I'd love to be in your shoes.  :-)

I'd love to see all your builds.   I do love outdoor cooking and smoking.  My wife love it too, all my messes are out of the kitchen for the most part  :-)

I'm looking forward to seeing what you have to offer the this page.   There are tons of folks here from around the world that are ready and willing to help.

Please don't be shy about posting  your builds.   I know its a smoking site, but we also have oven builds and we haven't been booted yet.  :-)

Hope you have a great evening sir!!

My name is Smokey janie

l would love to make this for my husband as he is sick with kidney problems this would be something

that would keep my mine distracted but  what a lovely surprize for him when he is better.

Could  you please on how to l would love to make it as l have nothing to lose.

thank you janie Bugg

I agree block absorb moisture and are not meant for heat.   I'm not sure you would  need all the layers of firebrick in a smoker.   Your max IT temp would be around 300F if your pushing butts.  Outside of that your IT temp is around 225 - 250  for  10 - 18hrs.    A oven would need the insulation of firebrick you are speaking of, but not a smoker.

Interesting theory though.   Start a new thread and post pictures of your smoker and build.   We are all here to learn and share ideas.   

When you get a chance, go into your profile and let folks know what part of the world you live in.   

I disagree on the cinder block comment. I made mine out of cinder. The key is to line the firebox with fire brick. Yes, cinder does attract moisture but if u seal it with a sealer you will not have an issue. I have done all of this and have coked many times now since I completed it. No cracks and no moisture and it has rained plenty here. Also, I like the hot and fast method and cook my butt at 280 to 310 (I am always in a hurry so rarely do slow and low). I have also had the smoker i. The 400s to clean of all the grates for at least 30 minutes. No problem there either. Lastly, if you google pit bbq in Texas you'll see some in Dallas and Austin that are just cinder. Their design is larger firebox so they don't even have fire brick. All of those restaraunts are considered the best in their cities.

I'm interested in what type of sealer you would want to use in food safe environment?     Block would make a build a lot simpler.   A few folks here  have tried a block smoker only to have moisture be a problem.   You have to drive out the moisture before you can build heat.  True, a large fire would do that, but most home smokers will not be that big or have that large a fire.    Interesting  thought though.     

On another note, you have to think that most  restaurants will keep a smoker going 24-7, so there is no chance of moisture build up like our outdoor family smokers.  On the other hand, block will break down over a period of time due to heat.    Firebrick are designed for heat.

I'm a fan of foiling at 160F.   We sell a lot of what we smoke.  In a pinch, I will run the smoker up to 275-300F  with no issues.  Of course, if you want it to get to 200F, it take forever when you are working to a time line.  :-)     Pork comes out tasting just as awesome.   

The bottom line is,  if you got a fire under it, its going to be the best pork out there.   Fire and smoke gives you a flavor that can't be matched by any other.  

I'm not saying anyone one way is best.   Find what works for you and build a fire under it.

I shadow Wes Walters comments as I have the same principal smoker.

yahoo.gif
I WILL NEVER GO BACK ! 

Hi Wes, I've just been checking out your smoker. It's fantastic! Where do you get your doors from?
Thank you Ma'am.

My brother built my doors for me.   He has a fab shop.    The frame is 3" angle and the doors are 1/8th in. steal.    The frame also serves as the lintel for the brick.  

Love the looks of the smoker.  Do you have plans/pics on line anywhere?  I have questions like:

- is it all brick or did you use any cinder block

- did you use any kind of special block in the fire box

- how long does the mortar need to set

- where'd you get your doors

Love the looks of the smoker.  Do you have plans/pics on line anywhere?  I have questions like:

- is it all brick or did you use any cinder block

- did you use any kind of special block in the fire box

- how long does the mortar need to set

- where'd you get your doors
Thank you sir.   I feel all your questions are answered in this thread.   I gave a complete rundown of the construction of the smoker complete with pictures.

if you still use this site could you please tell me where you purchased your doors for your smoker.  also, the air vent on the bottom right side and the damper for the chimney

if you still use this site could you please tell me where you purchased your doors for your smoker.  also, the air vent on the bottom right side and the damper for the chimney
Good morning!

I will forever be using this forum.   Always something new to find here.

The vents are on both sides. Helpful to have two getting it up to temp.  Once there,  one is plenty.    They are just simple vented ash dumps.  Any masonry supply should have them or you can order them online.   The doors and damper my brother built for me.   The door frames are 3" angle iron and also serve as the lentle for the brick.  The doors are 1/8th" steal built to 0 clearance.  The upper damper I don't recommend using.  I got my smoker up to around 600F once doing a burn out and it cracked the top.   Steal and masonry don't mix at high temps. I knew better then to put it in, but I thought it was a cool idea.  It does work great, but at a risk.

Good morning!

The upper damper I don't recommend using.  I got my smoker up to around 600F once doing a burn out and it cracked the top.   Steal and masonry don't mix at high temps. I knew better then to put it in, but I thought it was a cool idea.  It does work great, but at a risk.
You know its the nice thing about age and being lazy, we quit trying to outsmart ourselves....LOL

Last edited:

Good morning!

The upper damper I don't recommend using.  I got my smoker up to around 600F once doing a burn out and it cracked the top.   Steal and masonry don't mix at high temps. I knew better then to put it in, but I thought it was a cool idea.  It does work great, but at a risk.
You know its the nice thing about age and being lazy, we quit trying to outsmart ourselves....LOL
You are oh so right Kevin, then you just say to yourself, " what a dumbass...."   LOL!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky