Brick smoker - Compete how to

Discussion in 'Brick Smokers' started by wes w, Aug 16, 2012.

1. wes w

wes w Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Thank you Gardi.    Haha,   Yeah, she even helped me get her laid.  :)

2. ROFLMAO ¡¡¡¡  Thanks for the chuckle!!!

3. lol well that's always a good thing. 

4. hambone1950

hambone1950 Master of the Pit Group Lead

Brother , that is a smoker/fireplace anyone would be proud to have in their yard. What an accomplishment . I'm sure it functions perfectly , but it's also a work of art. Amazing.

5. wes w

Thank you Hambone.   It has served me well.
    Albe, your link can't be found. 

6. saki721

saki721 Newbie

Nice smokehouse... I am a masson,,, do you have a plan.. i don't want a buy a smokehouse. I want to make one... with briks...not wood... and yours is very sharp

Stéphan

7. wes w

Thanks sak.

No plan.  Just started with the base I thought was big enough and started up with it.    It could have been a little bigger, but it works well as is.

8. Ok, so I am new to this so sorry if this a stupid question.  What are all the blocks for in the ground?  Is that just because your ground was doff and sandy?  If I build one on concrete do I still need that much of a base?

9. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

That is a foundation to prevent frost heave and tipping the smoke house off kilter...  

I don't know what the smoker weighs, I would guess 3 tons.....   How close am I Wes ???

10. Do you need to have this even if built on concrete?

11. wes w

Sorry guys I've been away due to a lost family member.

Weld, you must have a good foundation to build something like this. Dave I would say at least 3 ton. The foundation is 13in. thick with a double run of 1/2in. rebar.  The reason for all the block was to bring it up to the height I wanted the hearth to be.   The foundation must be at least 16in under ground to get under the freeze line in my area.  Check with your local building code and see how deep you need to be in your area to get under the frost line.    Like Dave said, if it freezes under the concrete it will tip the smoker and soften the ground. 

Yes you can build right off the concrete, if you have the height you want.

No such thing as stupid  questions.  Thats how we learn.

12. fwismoker

fwismoker Master of the Pit

Using gas is "fake" smoke?   My smoker can use wood, charcoal or gas for the heating source but i'm pretty much hooked on using the gas. I get steady temps, i have a cast iron pan over a turkey fryer burner for my wood chunks and if i want more smoke i use my smoke daddy to pump more in. When i use my Smoke Daddy i put in charcoal and different kinds of wood chips, imo you can't get more authentic than that for smoke. 

13. wes w

FWI,  didn't mean any disrespect.   There are times I wish I had something I could set and walk away from.   

Well, I suppose spring finally got here.  Now  if we could get the rain to slow down a bit.  :)

Finally got the woodshed built.  

14. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

That a postcard picture Wes....  What a great place to sit and relax.... 

Dave

15. pjnla

pjnla Smoke Blower

thats a great shot. really puts it in perspective.

16. wes w

If it ever stops raining it will be very enjoyable.    It was actually raining when I took the picture.  

Next project is deck area or brick oven.    My be a while though.

Thanks you for the kind words. 

17. pjnla

pjnla Smoke Blower

guess that's the trade off then....you get cheap wood and snow and rain. and i get plenty of sunshine and good weather but wood costs me a fortune!! LOL

18. wes w

I've never been to Cali.   Our youngest son is at 29 Palms now training.  He's not liking it to good.  He says its around 110 in the daytime.   I think I'll stick with the 70's and rain..  :)

19. pjnla

pjnla Smoke Blower

Hell, no one wants to be in 29 Palms!!! its 105 at night!! He military? Thats the only people out there!! LOL. Tell him to come south a bit. Anywhere around LA or tell him to go down to San Diego and hang out with the Navy folks. They livign good down there. Thats the place to be.

20. wes w

Yeah, he's a Marine set to deploy in late July.   Not sure he would get along with the Navy folk.   He's stationed on east coast.  They do desert training at 29 Palms.    Wow,  105 at night.  He did make the comment he has never sweated so much in his life....