Brick and mortar smoker and grill '16

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scottpatch

Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
Doylestown PA
Here ar esome pics of the build of the smoker and grill I built this year.  I wanted the firebox to be offset to better control the temps.  The ceilings and floors of the smoker and firebox are a mix of refractory cement, perlite, and lime.  I couldn't find a local welder that would give me anything resembling an affordable price to custom fabricate doors.  I ended up ordering a 2'x2' and 3'x3' fire rated doors that were meant for fire extinguishers in walls that I painted with high heat grill paint. I installed the vents and cut the openings in them with a jigsaw (went thru a few blades!).  I purchased the handles separately and had them welded to the knobs that came with the door.  I ended up needing to add insulating tape to inside of the doors to get them close to air tight.  I should have ordered a slightly larger charcoal basket, but once up to temp, it maintains a constant 225-250 temp for close to 3 hours with little or no adjustment.  VERY happy with the end result!

I have architectural plans I could share, but I can't figure out how to attach a PDF file. 

e

Man that is a beautiful build!

I'm sure your very proud of it.

Can't wait to see it in action!

Al

Hey Guys.... Thanks for all the comments and compliments.  

I have used the smoker 5 or 6 times now and everything has turned out fantastic.  

I have figured out how to download the original plans I had drawn up and worked off... Hopefully you can view them.

As I mentioned before, due to the quotes received for custom made door, I went with commercially available fire rated doors.  A couple other minor changes were made during construction as well. Functionally,  I had the fire bricks installed in the smoker side on end the maximize space and because I didn't think with the lower temps I would be keeping, the walls needed to be 3.5" thick. I also added the backsplash around the back as there is a pool in the yard and needed the height to keep it legal.  

I ordered the grates cut to my specs from onlinemetals.com  

Here are some closer pics.  Any other questions, just ask.

LOL Wes!

I only suggested because it stained my granite crescent above my smoke box...LOL I do agree it gives it an aged or rustic look if you will and is fine. One other reason I thought it needed sealed is I studied the intake and exhaust to make a pattern of heat loss or gain for my smokes. I started with no seals, seals, seals fell off, then sealed.....I have a good pattern today.

I had a good gap in mine and affected me,  according to my personal steel door build. I intentionally left 3/16'' gap when welding the door hinges for a seal and didn't know what to use at that point. Sorry I am long winded this afternoon but a lot was involved by the suggested seals advice.  LOL !

I am glad my build is over, but I would do it again for sure!! Thanks Wes as always for being my Mentor with brick !

Wes, You told me in the beginning of my build Fall of 2014, "If you can a vision of it", You can build it.  You and I conquered this together, Thank You Wes for your patients, understanding and willingness to lend a hand to an apprentice brick layer. I am forever grateful to meet a friend as you.  

You all have a good July 4th evening, Be safe and enjoy your Freedom!

LOL Wes!

I only suggested because it stained my granite crescent above my smoke box...LOL I do agree it gives it an aged or rustic look if you will and is fine. One other reason I thought it needed sealed is I studied the intake and exhaust to make a pattern of heat loss or gain for my smokes. I started with no seals, seals, seals fell off, then sealed.....I have a good pattern today.

I had a good gap in mine and affected me,  according to my personal steel door build. I intentionally left 3/16'' gap when welding the door hinges for a seal and didn't know what to use at that point. Sorry I am long winded this afternoon but a lot was involved by the suggested seals advice.  LOL !

I am glad my build is over, but I would do it again for sure!! Thanks Wes as always for being my Mentor with brick !

Wes, You told me in the beginning of my build Fall of 2014, "If you can a vision of it", You can build it.  You and I conquered this together, Thank You Wes for your patients, understanding and willingness to lend a hand to an apprentice brick layer. I am forever grateful to meet a friend as you.  

You all have a good July 4th evening, Be safe and enjoy your Freedom!
Thanks Jim,  I just want folks to have the best smoked anything that money can't buy.

I like your idea of a built in gap on the doors.  My brother built mine.  He built them 0 clearance.  Sure, its not air tight, but hey!,  I got a fire under it.   Never had a heating issue.  As long as smoke isn't coming out the doors, I got good air flow.   Thats all that matters.

I love seeing folks do things the best they can.   The reward is as awesome for me as them.

I can't stress enough with brick work.  You have to let it cure for at least 35-45 days before putting fire in it.   Then only small fires to cure the mortar joints.  I promise, if you don't it will crack!   What happens to water when heated?  It expands...

That is a great build! Looking forward to seeing the plans posted as I'd like to build something like this.

This is awesome. Looking build something similar.  I agree doors are hard to come by.  Curious if anyone has a supplier for some doors.

This is awesome. Looking build something similar.  I agree doors are hard to come by.  Curious if anyone has a supplier for some doors.
Steve,  I looked everywhere for doors.  I finally had them custom built.  I was lucky enough to have a brother who has a fab shop.   No clue what it would cost to have it done.

Don't go cheap on the doors.  Its the heart and soul of a brick smoker.

Reactions: NayNay
Thanks Wes.  My brother doesn't have a fab shop, but he can weld and says he can make them.  Any idea where a cheap place to get steel(?) would be?  Home Depot seems pretty expensive.  Hey while we're on it, same question with firebrick.  Online and at Home Depot they seem to run about $5 ea.  That is going to add up!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky