Brer Rabbit Molasses Gone???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Western Colorado
Brer rabbit full flavor molasses is what I grew up on and it’s what I like, I really don’t care for Grandma’s brand and these two are all we have ever had a choice between. Well my Brer Rabbit stockpile is down to 1 1/2 bottles so time to pick up some more, but it’s nowhere to be found, so on to the inter webs, no availability there either, what the heck? Does anyone know what happened to this molasses?

Next question, any who have enjoyed Brer Rabbit, what other full flavor molasses is comparable or maybe better? I’m pretty bummed about this.

I believe I found it at Hy-Vee and another local grocer here in Nebraska. It is strange that the national grocers and even the company website didn't have any avail.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Thanks tbern tbern , but in store pick up only, no shipping. I tried putting 10 bottles in my cart and go to checkout and still no shipping only in store pickup, that’s a 12ish hour drive one way for me.

I believe I found it at Hy-Vee and another local grocer here in Nebraska. It is strange that the national grocers and even the company website didn't have any avail.
Thank you I’ll check it out.

Amazon Edge. I only use the stuff when making a loaf of rye bread in the machine so Grandma's works for me. RAY

Amazon is 0 available and don’t know if or when back in stock, even Walmart.com same thing. Grandma’s is ok for baking but in curing or on pancakes it always has an off back taste to me. Thanks for the reply Ray.

Reactions: sawhorseray
Thank you I’ll check it out.

Amazon is 0 available and don’t know if or when back in stock, even Walmart.com same thing. Grandma’s is ok for baking but in curing or on pancakes it always has an off back taste to me. Thanks for the reply Ray.
Yeah, I'll lick my finger when making bread and don't like the flavor at all. Pure maple syrup for French toast and pancakes. RAY

Other than Grandma’s, what is everyone’s favorite molasses?
I have used Plantation and liked it. Was given a jar of Golden Barrel and it is strong flavored, but I've never had Brer Rabbit so I can't compare the two. The Brer Rabbit is available on EBAY. $19.99 for a 2 pack, free shipping

Brer Rabbit is what I grew up on, too. I suspect it may have fallen victim to "wokeism", like Aunt Jemima's and Uncle Ben's.

Hey @smokingEdge. I too grew up with the green label.
It shows available in my area of Western Washington.
$4.79 for 12 oz.
Shipping to CO ???? But if you get desperate let me know.

Maybe try a food distributors store brand. A long long time ago in a restaurant far far away my boss had a 'secret recipe' and we used Sysco or US Foodservice. If you know someone in the restaurant biz get them to order you a gallon, or create an account and they'll send it to you. You don't have to buy the whole case. Some of them have outlets you can buy this stuff at.

Worth a try if your particular brand goes suddenly under.

I like Steen's molasses
Thank you for the referral, I trust your flavor choices generally so I will give a bottle a try.

Maybe try a food distributors store brand. A long long time ago in a restaurant far far away my boss had a 'secret recipe' and we used Sysco or US Foodservice. If you know someone in the restaurant biz get them to order you a gallon, or create an account and they'll send it to you. You don't have to buy the whole case. Some of them have outlets you can buy this stuff at.

Worth a try if your particular brand goes suddenly under.

Thanks for the thought, I have a restaurant supply that I buy from, I will look and see.

Reactions: TNJAKE
I'm out and two stores checked off, still none. At least now I know there's an availability issue. Fond of Brer's, granny served on pancakes, johnny cakes etc. Bread, cookies even on home churned ice cream. Said it was good for you. The hunt is on.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky