Brer Rabbit Molasses Gone???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
OT but what is the difference between full flavor and blackstrap?
All molasses is made the same way, pressing the sugar cane and then boiling the liquid. After that, the cooked molasses is spun in a centrifuge to separate out the solids. What's left is light, or mild, molasses. Boiling it again concentrates it even more and makes it darker. A third boiling makes it even darker and the result is blackstrap. I'm not sure where full flavor falls into the mix, but my thoughts are after the second boiling...

Saw this at my local Fred Meyer store today, which is owned by Kroger. Label is different than I remember, but I guess it's the same thing.
20221118_202712.jpg

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I grew up on Brer Rabbit. When I was a young kid I was allergic to chocolate. For years I got molasses milk instead of chocolate. Thank goodness I’m not allergic to it now.

All I can get here is Plantation and Grandmas.

These days it seems like there is always something we can’t get….

Online says our local Price Chopper has it in stock for 5.10. It's a 12oz jar.

Chris

I seldom use molasses for anything, but due to this post I had to check it out at the store where I work. We have plenty of it, but the label doesn't look like what's shown above. The shortage may be due to a lable/packaging change over. I've seen it a few times where something disappears for a short while then it's back in abundance with a new label/packaging.

I seldom use molasses for anything, but due to this post I had to check it out at the store where I work. We have plenty of it, but the label doesn't look like what's shown above. The shortage may be due to a lable/packaging change over. I've seen it a few times where something disappears for a short while then it's back in abundance with a new label/packaging.
I work at a bottling facility. And we've been haunted by this problem since mid-covid. Waiting weeks at times for materials.

Thanks for all the research and the postings. Seems it is still available in certain areas but not really in mine. Maybe they will get it figured out but like all things post Covid, it’s all FUBAR. And Im not paying 30 bucks a bottle.

Reactions: cutplug and DougE
All molasses is made the same way, pressing the sugar cane and then boiling the liquid. After that, the cooked molasses is spun in a centrifuge to separate out the solids. What's left is light, or mild, molasses. Boiling it again concentrates it even more and makes it darker. A third boiling makes it even darker and the result is blackstrap. I'm not sure where full flavor falls into the mix, but my thoughts are after the second boiling...
According to the Brer Rabbit website (B&G Foods) blackstrap is more concentrated than
full flavor and mild is the sweetest.
That label from Fred Meyer is indeed strange.
Thanks for the info. I've only ever used blackstrap cause that what I remember grand parents talking about.

Brer rabbit full flavor molasses is what I grew up on and it’s what I like, I really don’t care for Grandma’s brand and these two are all we have ever had a choice between. Well my Brer Rabbit stockpile is down to 1 1/2 bottles so time to pick up some more, but it’s nowhere to be found, so on to the inter webs, no availability there either, what the heck? Does anyone know what happened to this molasses?

Next question, any who have enjoyed Brer Rabbit, what other full flavor molasses is comparable or maybe better? I’m pretty bummed about this.
You can still find it on Amazon for about $15 a bottle. Other online places may sell it for less, but take note of ridiculous shipping costs. Also, as someone else suggested, Steen's Dark Molasses is similar, and also very good (as is their 100% Pure Cane Syrup). I've directly compared Brer Rabbit Full Flavor to Steen's Dark. The Brer Rabbit is a tiny bit thicker, and tastes like it's been "cooked" a little longer, just starting to acquire some bitterness (but the GOOD kind). Steen's is a little sweeter, with more of a honey mouthfeel. Almost like it's somewhere between Brer Rabbit Mild and Full Flavor. Very good, slightly different, worth trying.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky