Breeding Chiles

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hamdrew

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 17, 2021
Canoncito-x-Chocolate-Hab.jpg

Step 1: Grow 2 different chiles

Step 2: Go to the store sometime before flowering and buy your first box of Q-tips ever

Step 3: Rub one of the plant's UNOPENED flowers/pistils (inside) with a Q-tip (the more open the flower is, the higher chance it's already gotten knocked up)

Step 4: Rub a flower on the other plant's unopened flower

Step 5: TAG IT, i use a lot of hemp cord in my gardening. lol

Step 6: Collect seeds, LABEL, grow next year.

Be mindful that there will be variation/mutants. Cross a New Mexican-family ("Bell Peppers" , Jalapenos, Bananas etc. are all decendents of New Mexican chiles) with a Habanero-family (scotch bonnets, ghosts) and you will get much more variation. Some will be wrinkly little reaper-lookin guys. These will pepper-spray your kitchen when you go to seed them if there is any moisture left at all. Goggles and gloves, if you can't do it outside have proper ventilation.

Reactions: TuckersBarbeque
Outstanding effort, but too much work for me.
Chili pepper seeds went global starting in the 1500's.
I'm happy buying seeds from the regions that have been breeding varieties for hundreds of years.

U can have all your next year's seed stock with 5min of work, though!!!

Sounds like an interesting way to play with Chiles. Ive been using ChilePlants.com for a few years. They have a huge variety of Live Plants and Seeds avaiable...JJ

Reactions: Hamdrew
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky