Breakfast Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well, I tried 5GRILLZNTN's sage recipe. A LOT better than the recipe I tried. But I'm still missing that sausage "bite" you get from say, like a store brand. Would black pepper add the taste I'm looking for? I don't want to change 5GRILLZNTN'S recipe as it taste pretty good as is, just trying to figure out what to add to it.

Try it. 1/4tsp Black Pepper per pound is really light. I use 1tsp per pound in any Ground meat, Hamburgers, Meatloaf, Sausage, Meatballs, Etc. White Pepper is a great option. Has a Bite but not like the Heat of Cayenne...JJ

Reactions: fullborebbq
More black pepper is what it needed. I took a patty and ground it up with more pepper. Now it had the flavor I was looking for. I bet it tastes even better when I mix it up and then cook the sausage.

Hi Recon1
Geez, I hope nobody yells at me this time. Anyways, don’t be afraid to change a recipe, or add/delete any spice. In this hobby you, and or your family are the only ones you need to satisfy.
It sounds like you are on the right track to figuring that out so have fun and enjoy yourself that is the name of the game.

Cal

Last edited:
Reactions: indaswamp
Hi Recon1
Geez, I hope nobody yells at me this time. Anyways, don’t be afraid to change a recipe,
or add/delete any spice. In this hobby you, or your family are the only ones you need to satisfy.
So it’s pretty much anything goes, have fun and enjoy yourself that is the name of the game.

Cal

You are absolutely correct! spice your sausage the way YOU like it, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Spice charts are simply someone else's idea as to what is the correct amount.

Experiment, enjoy.

Don't ever let anyone tell you how your sausage should taste!

Here is a great recipe for breakfast sausage. I went through a ton of different things before dialing this one in. Not sure about the Swaggerty sausage as I've never heard of it. You could amp this up with a 1/4 t of black pepper per pound or perhaps 1/8 t of Cayenne, or just some additional red pepper that's in the recipe already. We just love the balance of this and truly enjoy it. I do also have a recipe for spicy Italian sausage but I'm afraid that wouldn't make the flavor profile you're looking for in a breakfast sausage. Look this over and let me know if you have any questions. It's a tried and true recipe and I bet we could make it work for you with just a minor tweak or two.

16 ounces ground pork
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon Garlic powder
½ teaspoon dried parsley
½ teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
¼ teaspoon ground coriander
¼ teaspoon Accent
¼ teaspoon Oregano
¼ teaspoon onion powder

Robert
Can I add cure#1 and msg to this recipe?

Accent is MSG. A scant 1/4tsp per pound Cure #1 (1tsp/5 pounds) can be added but the meat will remain pink with a Country Sausage hammy flavor...JJ

"Can I add cure#1 and msg to this recipe?"

Chef JJ has already responded about Accent and MSG so I won't go into that. He has it well covered :emoji_astonished:

As for the cure $1, certainly you can add it but what would be the point? Unless you're planning to smoke the sausage low and slow, which is not typical for breakfast sausage, I see no reason to add it. Make no mistake about it though, I'm not the least bit adverse to doing something that is out of the ordinary. I'm just curious....

Perplexed in Lago,
Robert

Reactions: smokininthegarden
"Can I add cure#1 and msg to this recipe?"

Chef JJ has already responded about Accent and MSG so I won't go into that. He has it well covered :emoji_astonished:

As for the cure $1, certainly you can add it but what would be the point? Unless you're planning to smoke the sausage low and slow, which is not typical for breakfast sausage, I see no reason to add it. Make no mistake about it though, I'm not the least bit adverse to doing something that is out of the ordinary. I'm just curious....

Perplexed in Lago,
Robert
I was just asking in case I decided to smoke breakfast sausage links.

Biggy1
There is no reason why you can’t add cure or msg to your breakfast sausage.
There are more benefits to adding the cure than just allowing you to smoke
the sausage. MSG, obviously will aid in the overall flavor of the sausage while
the cure will not only change the texture of the sausage but aid in how long the
links will last in the fridge.

I always add cure and MSG to any link sausage I make. The only time I don’t
is if I am making a fresh, bulk sausage that I will cook and use that day or in the next couple of days.

Cal

Reactions: Biggy1 and chopsaw
I add cure 1 to all my bratwurst and polish . I'll smoke some of the polish , but also leave some for grilling .

Reactions: Biggy1
Biggy1
There is no reason why you can’t add cure or msg to your breakfast sausage.
There are more benefits to adding the cure than just allowing you to smoke
the sausage. MSG, obviously will aid in the overall flavor of the sausage while
the cure will not only change the texture of the sausage but aid in how long the
links will last in the fridge.

I always add cure and MSG to any link sausage I make. The only time I don’t
is if I am making a fresh, bulk sausage that I will cook and use that day or in the next couple of days.

Cal
Thanks a lot Smokininthegarden I really appreciate it!

I too make 1 batch of Kielbasa, with Cure, Smoke half and Grill or Simmer half with Sauerkraut. The fresh stay pink and you will explaining that they are, in fact, fully cooked, but the Flavor is great...JJ

Reactions: chopsaw
he fresh stay pink and you will explaining that they are, in fact, fully cooked, but the Flavor is great...JJ
Pic of some grilled polish , then baked in a pretzel .
20190226_123152.jpg

Reactions: Biggy1
Here's the recipe I used: https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/ba-breakfast-sausage I used 2 pounds of ground pork and modified the sage as I used dried sage. I see a few using coriander and Accent or MSG. Does the MSG change the flavor profile that much? I have that. I can see that I need to drop the fennel. And my conversion from fresh to dried sage was way off. It will be awhile before I try this again. I'm going to try to make a cheddar brat with the rest of the pork. This will be my first attempt with making links.

That recipe from BA was my starting point as well. Adjust to taste. I will be trying some of the others suggestions posted as you just can't tell what it will tast like from a recipe.

Trying to make a breakfast sausage. The recipe I tried had too much sage in it. It had 3 teaspoons of sage for 2 pounds of ground pork butt. But it was missing that "sausage" taste I was looking for. The spices used were thyme, brown sugar, kosher salt, crushed fennel seeds, red pepper flakes, black pepper, garlic powder, and smoked paprika. Kinda looking for a recipe that tastes like Swaggerty hot sausage. What spices am I missing? I don't know enough to "adjust" as most recipes call for. Any help would be appreciated.
Trying to make a breakfast sausage. The recipe I tried had too much sage in it. It had 3 teaspoons of sage for 2 pounds of ground pork butt. But it was missing that "sausage" taste I was looking for. The spices used were thyme, brown sugar, kosher salt, crushed fennel seeds, red pepper flakes, black pepper, garlic powder, and smoked paprika. Kinda looking for a recipe that tastes like Swaggerty hot sausage. What spices am I missing? I don't know enough to "adjust" as most recipes call for. Any help would be appreciated.
Swaggerty is So good! I’ve been making Bruce Aidell’s Iowa Farm for a long time, but it’s very bland compared to Swaggerty’s. I cooked an 8 pack of their patties this morning and just let the sausage taste sit in my palette to evaluate. It’s not hot per so but very flavorful and very aromatic. I decided I was tasting a lot of thyme and something else that grabs ... either ginger or nutmeg. I plan to experiment!

Last edited:
Forgot all about this thread. And yes, thyme was the flavor that was missing.

Here are some sausage recipes I ran across several years ago. They were represented as Jimmy Dean clones. I've not tried them as I've realized I'd rather eat sausage than make it. Maybe they will at least provide some food for thought.

Sage
16 ounces ground pork
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon coriander
1/4 teaspoon MSG (such as Accent flavor enhancer)

Hot
16 ounces ground pork
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon coriander
1/4 teaspoon MSG (such as Accent)

Maple
16 ounces ground pork
3 tablespoons maple flavored syrup
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon MSG (such as Accent)
1/4 teaspoon coriander
Combine all ingredients for the flavor of your choice in a medium bowl. Form the sausage into patties and cook in a skillet over medium heat until brown. Makes 1 pound of sausage.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky