Breakfast Sausage Time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gary s

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 6, 2011
I was out of Breakfast sausage and I had an extra pork butt in the freezer so  Fresh pork sausage.

I love links but was out of sheep casings So I just stuffed into about plastic tubes.

Started with about an 8 lb. Butt

Gor her deboned

Slicing it up in small cubes

I had some extra fat that I added

Ready to do the first grind (I use the big plate first

You can see I just pulled this out of the freezer

First Grind.  I mix my seasoning in and back in the fridge till the second grind

Sorry no pics of the second grind but I'm ready to stuff

Stuffer and bags ready, waiting on me

First Bag ready to be sealed with hog ring

8 lbs. of sausage  5 bags about 1.6 lbs per bag

Thanks for looking

The sausage looks really good, Gary!

Did you use a premixed seasoning or your own blend.

We like the mix from the sausage maker.

I like the bag too, makes it easy to slice into patties.

I sent a point your way!

Al

Thanks Al, it was my own blend. I've been trying for well over a year to duplicate Parnell's Old Folks Sausage. That is the one one My Wife and Grandson prefer.

I like the Leggs sausage blend.  But my grandson said I nailed it have to wait and see what the Boss says..

One thing I do (Sometimes) is almost freeze the bags then slice it on my slicer, put about 8 patties per bag and Vac seal.  Man not this time.

Gary

Last edited:
Thanks CM

Gary

Looks Mighty Tasty, Gary!!
drool.gif

You gonna freeze & slice them into patties??

Points to you.

Isn't it getting to Hot & Dry down there?

Don't you think you ought to move up here to PA with me??

The closest house to me, across the road (about 1/4 mile away) is for sale. It's not very big, but it has a small pond about 15' from the back door.

Bear

Last edited:
Looks great Gary,, I have about 8 butts in the freezer that I need to do,,, We like the larger size links like a brat but in a breakfast blend,, put cure in it and cold smoke it with apple for about 4hrs ,,,, still needs cooked before eating. 

Yours looks great!!! POINTS

DS

Reactions: bdskelly
Gary looks good,I was always under the impression, that when you defrosted meat you had to cook it before refreezing. Points

Richie

points.gif

Looks good! I'm waiting for a good deal on pork shoulder and it isn't happening. We used to have buy-one-get-one-free deals. I'm ready to grind.

This year I have two kinds of sage so it would be interesting to split the batch and see if I can taste the difference.

Thanks Richie, I have always done it that way when I had a stash of Butts. But !!! you got me thinking am I doing it wrong so I looked it up

and here is what it said

The U. S. Dept. of Agriculture (USDA) advises: Once food is thawed in the refrigerator, it is safe to refreeze  it without cooking, although there may be a loss of quality due to the moisture lost through thawing. After cooking raw foods which were previously frozen, it is safe to freeze  the cooked foods.  

And Thank you     Bear, driedstick. redheelerdog and BlueWhisper

Gary

Thanks Richie, I have always done it that way when I had a stash of Butts. But !!! you got me thinking am I doing it wrong so I looked it up

and here is what it said

The U. S. Dept. of Agriculture (USDA) advises: Once food is thawed in the refrigerator, it is safe to refreeze  it without cooking, although there may be a loss of quality due to the moisture lost through thawing. After cooking raw foods which were previously frozen, it is safe to freeze  the cooked foods.  

And Thank you     Bear, driedstick. redheelerdog and BlueWhisper

Gary
Thanks, Gary,,, My mom always told me not to refreeze after thawing,,,some meat has been wasted over the years,,, not no more THANKS

DS

We need to Thank Richie for bringing it up !!    Thank you my friend

Gary

Reactions: gearjammer
Thanks for the points Ed.

Thanks Gary

Gary

Well... As usual I've been traveling and was late for breakfast.  Hate it cause I know you take breakfast sausage seriously! Nice post and awesome chubs! point

Brian

Thank you Brian

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky