Breakfast links

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scottma

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 26, 2015
Massachusetts
Hi Guys,

I'm really starting to enjoy this new hobby.  Today I made my first breakfast sausage using a LEM seasoning kit.  Also a first I used 19-21mm edible collagen casing.  I liked this better than having to soak and rinse the natural hog casing.  I haven't cooked one yet so I can't compare the texture difference. 

Casings

I bought a pork shoulder this time as they were on sale for .99lb.  All ground up.

Starting stuffing and it went very smoothly. Loved how easy getting the casing on the tube was.

All stuffed.  This was my first time creating links.  They kept unwinding on me even when I alternated the spin with each link..Any tips?

I put them in the fridge for a bit to firm up then cut them into individual links. Left some out for tomorrow mornings breakfast the rest are firming in the freezer before vac sealing.

Test patty tasted great.

Will update tomorrow with breakfast pics.

Thanks for looking,

Scott

Congratulations on some good looking links.  You're a brave man using those small casing for your first time making links.  They can be tricky and tend to blow out.

Collagen is dang near impossible to twist into links (as you found out). Collagen does not hold a twist and it is easy to blow out when twisting.  Collagen is not made to be twisted. 

With Collagen, just lightly freeze to firm them up some, and cut to length with the ends open.  If you are going to vacuum pack any of them, make sure to freeze them solid first or the vacuum on the bag will squish out the meat from the cut links.  About the only way to "twist" links in collagen is to use string to tie them off into individual links.  That's too much tying for me, so I just cut.  You can do the same with collagen snack stick casings if you are not going to hang them.

Great looking breakfast links!

I recently made some brats using a collagen casing and linked them using this technique. They will never untwist. Just make sure you push the extra meat towards the open end to prevent tearing/blowouts, take your time and don't force anything. Some extra care is required when linking collagen casings, but it can be done. It's quite easy once you get the hang of it!

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/249064/brats

Last edited:

Great looking breakfast links!

I recently made some brats using a collagen casing and linked them using this technique. They will never untwist. Just make sure you push the extra meat towards the open end to prevent tearing/blowouts, take your time and don't force anything. Some extra care is required when linking collagen casings, but it can be done. It's quite easy once you get the hang of it!

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/249064/brats

I need to try that with collagen.  Thanks for sharing that method.  I've seen it with natural casings but I had not previously heard of anyone trying that with collagen.  I think the key would be to not over stuff the casings if you are going to link like that.

Thanks

Nice looking links, let us know how they come out!! I made some of pops breakfast sausage this weekend but just did bulk,,,from your pics I should have done links LOL - Looks yummy 

DS

Thanks guys for the replies.  I can't say I'm overly impressed with them. The test patty tasted great but stuffed I'm not a big fan. I can taste the collagen casing(it tastes like they smell).  Now they were also too dry...Do you think that more likely to be overcooking or not enough fat?

It looks like there is enough fat in them - I would say overcooked.  I'm not a fan at all of collagen casings.  I prefer natural casings for everything I do - but some will disagree.

I use Collagen for my Snack Sticks, and Sheep casings for breakfast links,   Let me know what you think ??   

Yours looks pretty darn good to me    
points1.png

Gary

I use Collagen for my Snack Sticks, and Sheep casings for breakfast links,   Let me know what you think ??   

Yours looks pretty darn good to me    
points1.png

Gary
They stuffed great and the patty tasted perfect but there was a weird taste that i know is coming from the casing that i just don't like.  I think I'm going to cut off the casing when i fry up the rest over the next few weeks.  I'll have to order some sheep casings to make my next batch.  Also what temp are you guys cooking links to? is it like regular pork loin 145 or more like 165 because its ground?

And thanks for the point!!

Last edited:
I stopped using casings for my breakfast links . I run them thru the stuffer using the small tube , cut to length on wax paper . Put in freezer til solid , then in a freezer bag . pick out how many you want to cook .  

I use spicy pork sausage seasoning from sausage maker . Makes awesome sausage gravy . 

I stopped using casings for my breakfast links . I run them thru the stuffer using the small tube , cut to length on wax paper . Put in freezer til solid , then in a freezer bag . pick out how many you want to cook .  

I use spicy pork sausage seasoning from sausage maker . Makes awesome sausage gravy . 
I thought about that last time I made sausage. I think I will give it a try next time,

Thanks for bringing it up

Gary

That makes sense..I will have to try it for next time. Thanks for the tip.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky