Bratwurst Ruben On Homemade Pretzel Buns (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Well it's kinda like a Ruben anyway. Similar concept just slightly different approach. So a few days ago I made soft pretzels for the first time ever. They came out very well and only lasted a couple days before being totally devoured. They were good enough to justify trying to make pretzel buns for Tracy's beloved hamburgers. Used a Southwest Potato bread mix from The Prepared Pantry then followed the same principals as making pretzels. After the buns are formed they go into boiling water with baking soda for about 30 seconds. Then I let them cool, brushed with egg wash, and sprinkled with Everything Bagel seasoning made by Borsari which I received from our good friend Steve H Steve H (this stuff is really good)and baked at 375 for 15 minutes or so. Thought a sandwich with the Hipshot brats would be good so went with it.

Here are the buns out of the oven and cooling
002_Fotogenic.jpg

A couple brats on the grill, top rack, opposite end from the heat to cook indirect
003_Fotogenic.jpg

Brats done
004_Fotogenic.jpg

Split the buns and brats, then add Swiss cheese and kraut. Brats are nice and juicy. We're loving these things
007_Fotogenic.jpg

Back onto the grill to heat through and melt the cheese
008_Fotogenic.jpg

Spicy mustard, chips, and homemade pickles ala SmokinAl SmokinAl
011_Fotogenic.jpg

Heading to the patio for dinner
014_Fotogenic.jpg

Close up
015_Fotogenic.jpg

This came together to make a fantastic flavor combination. My first thought was to use 1000 Island dressing to be more along the lines of a traditional Ruben but when I saw the spicy mustard in the fridge I knew that was the way to go. Another quick meal that was fun because the buns, sausage, and pickles are all homemade. It's just so much better doing it yourself. This one will go into the rotation as a must-do-again and I have a feeling that the pretzel buns will be a forever staple around here. Man they are good!!

Oh well, gotta get to my Sunday chores. We had a huge brisket blow-out yesterday and got some stuff still needing to be cleaned up Everybody take care, stay safe, and we will see y'all again soon.

Robert

These are off the charts awesome looking. And since I love a good rueben. These have to be on my menu!

Nice! I used to make the same except wrapped in a tortilla and grilled to seal up/crisp the "packet".
I'll have to make them again after seeing this. Thanks for the reminder :emoji_thumbsup:

Wow!!
I could go for 2 of them right now!!!
Outstanding Sammy Right There, Robert !!
Like.

Bear

Those buns look so freak'n good! Good sammy. That Prepared Pantry treats you good! I looked at site but just do much bread other than weekend toast.

Robert, looks pretty dang tasty! Love the buns!

Thank you!! Taking into account that I'm not even close to being a baker this was an adventure to say the least. They came out well though.

These are off the charts awesome looking. And since I love a good rueben. These have to be on my menu!

Thanks Steve. The sausage is fantastic but add those buns, it was a chart topper.

I used to make the same except wrapped in a tortilla and grilled to seal up/crisp the "packet"

Too funny!! This is how we typically have our brats but wanted to do it a bit differently this time.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky