Brats and Andouille

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

westby

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
Winona, MN
Made up 15 lbs of morel mushroom and wild rice brats along with 30 lbs of andouille this past weekend. Brats were made with PS Seasonings blue ribbon brat seasoning, wild rice, and some stems and pieces morels I had found back in May. I sautéed them down with garlic, a little butter and olive oil and then freezed that mixture until now. The andouille is the NOLA recipe. I'll be packaging tonight and I'll probably make up a batch of red beans and rice.

Last edited:
Looks tasty from here too! 
drool.gif

Man that's some pretty Andouille! I use the NOLA recipe also and plan to stick with it, though I use 3/4 cup of Soy Protein Concentrate instead of 1/4 cup of NFDM.

:points:

Dan

Good grief; morels and wild rice in brats! Talk about pushing the creative envelope past Pluto! How did they turn out? Almost a little like boudin perhaps.

Good grief; morels and wild rice in brats! Talk about pushing the creative envelope past Pluto! How did they turn out? Almost a little like boudin perhaps.
Yeah the mushrooms kind of threw me, too. The rice I can see, but if I had morels they'd be fried up LOL!

Could someone point me to the NOLA recipe for andouille, please?

Collecting and evaluating sausage recipes :)

Thanks!

They turned out fantastic.  They have a nice subtle flavor of the morels and a little texture from the rice, but they do not have as much rice in them as a boudin would have.  This is the third time I've made them.  Every year that we get morels, we find a bunch that have a bad spot or two on them that need to have a bit cut off - I just call them "stems and pieces".  Simply dice them up, sauté them in a little garlic, butter and olive oil and then let them cool and freeze.  They keep very well when cooked and frozen.  I had about 1 1/2 lbs of them and added about 4 cups of cooked wild rice when mixing up the meat.

We find enough every year that we get our fill of them fried up.  It's kind of nice to be able to get that flavor again several months later.

Since we do not have the Andouille sauage here in Australia, is there a recipe I can get to make my own?

Thanks

The NOLA recipe mentioned above is the only way to go AussieJonl.  That is exactly what I use.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky