• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Brats and Andouille

westby

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jan 17, 2011
Made up 15 lbs of morel mushroom and wild rice brats along with 30 lbs of andouille this past weekend. Brats were made with PS Seasonings blue ribbon brat seasoning, wild rice, and some stems and pieces morels I had found back in May. I sautéed them down with garlic, a little butter and olive oil and then freezed that mixture until now. The andouille is the NOLA recipe. I'll be packaging tonight and I'll probably make up a batch of red beans and rice.

Last edited:

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Man that looks good!

Nice job!

Al

driedstick

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 3, 2011
Very Nice,,, Sounds tasty,,, 

A full smoker is a happy smoker 

DS

smokeymose

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 13, 2015
Man that's some pretty Andouille! I use the NOLA recipe also and plan to stick with it, though I use 3/4 cup of Soy Protein Concentrate instead of 1/4 cup of NFDM.

:points:

Dan

oberst

Meat Mopper
Joined Jan 8, 2015
Good grief; morels and wild rice in brats! Talk about pushing the creative envelope past Pluto! How did they turn out? Almost a little like boudin perhaps.

smokeymose

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 13, 2015
Good grief; morels and wild rice in brats! Talk about pushing the creative envelope past Pluto! How did they turn out? Almost a little like boudin perhaps.
Yeah the mushrooms kind of threw me, too. The rice I can see, but if I had morels they'd be fried up LOL!

gregor

Smoke Blower
Joined May 7, 2016
Could someone point me to the NOLA recipe for andouille, please?

Collecting and evaluating sausage recipes :)

Thanks!

westby

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jan 17, 2011
They turned out fantastic.  They have a nice subtle flavor of the morels and a little texture from the rice, but they do not have as much rice in them as a boudin would have.  This is the third time I've made them.  Every year that we get morels, we find a bunch that have a bad spot or two on them that need to have a bit cut off - I just call them "stems and pieces".  Simply dice them up, sauté them in a little garlic, butter and olive oil and then let them cool and freeze.  They keep very well when cooked and frozen.  I had about 1 1/2 lbs of them and added about 4 cups of cooked wild rice when mixing up the meat.

We find enough every year that we get our fill of them fried up.  It's kind of nice to be able to get that flavor again several months later.

aussiejonl

Joined Aug 6, 2016
Since we do not have the Andouille sauage here in Australia, is there a recipe I can get to make my own?

Thanks

westby

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jan 17, 2011
The NOLA recipe mentioned above is the only way to go AussieJonl.  That is exactly what I use.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.