Bradford pear?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ScottB81

Original poster
Dec 27, 2019
At the risk of sounding stupid, I wanted to ask about the use of Bradford pear wood for smoking meat. I know hickory is probably the most popular but ive heard any fruit trees make good wood for smoking. The reason im asking is that i have a lot of it on hand due to some trees blowing over last spring. Thanks in advance

Never seen anybody eat something off of a Bradford pear, it may be safe but would use maple before that. Fruit wood has always been acceptable, Bradford pear is no fruit imo

Reactions: chopsaw
It does say that the whole the fruits inedible raw it can be used to make wine and seasonings. The seeds have a mild poison to humans causing generally gastric distress via conversion to cyanide. Note it says it close to impossible for a human to ingest enough to get sick or worse. I’d likely not use the wood though.

After doing some googling, it seems there a lot of people who say it is very good to smoke with. I would like to hear opinions from anyone who has actually tried it

Oh heck yes, it is an excellent wood for smoking. I have used it many times, produces a light fragrant smoke that pairs well with light proteins, just be sure it is fully cured! Don‘t be spooked about the fruit being not being fully editable, it has no bearing on the quality or safety of the wood’s smoke.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScottB81
Funny how I go back and read these old threads to find so many posters who haven't posted in so long a time. Life goes on I guess, It's a hardwood fruit tree ought to be OK for smoking. RAY

It's mild like apple. Bradford pears are known for splitting apart under their own weight after 20 years or so. Usually during the spring.

Reactions: ScottB81
I am a live testament that it won't hurt you I have used it many times. I don't remove the bark either. In the post if you read it it says the seeds are poison I don't usually eat seeds. I especialy use it in my open pit fire cooking.

Warren

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky