BPS UDS Build with Photos and Lessons Learned

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
So far I've done chicken , Italian sausage, cold smoked cheese and Chuck roast. The chuck turned out the best but it's probably because I watched it like a hawk. I have had trouble holding temp below 250 the whole time and I'm convinced it was leakage around the inlets at the bottom. I inadvertently installed one over a dent leaving a quarter inch gap in one spot.

A tube of black rtv was ordered and I sealed all around the inlets brackets with it. I'm running the smoker right now and am holding 250 nice and steady. If you make this brand of UDS I recommend running a bead of RTV sealant around the inlets brackets before installing them. I have much better control now.

Here the chuck roast mid smoke. I only had full size steamer pans so it looks a little funny . Actually it's a pretty bad picture...

I have some country ribs on right now and more sausages go in there in an hour.

20200308_161848.jpg

I think I have solved my temp control issues. So far i have smoked multiple shoulders, chuck roasts and spare ribs, with some chicken and sausage too. I've had troubles keeping the temp even below 300, much less 250. I have been using lump charcoal, mostly Royal Oak and Rockwood. I have been frustrated with temp control the whole time and spent quite a bit of time on the internet reading up on it. Briquettes don't burn as hot, so I decided to give them a go. It appears that it is the lump that has been my issue. I just tried straight up Kingsford briquettes yesterday and kept my temp at 250 all afternoon. I'm pretty sure I could go lower and hold it there. Easily regulated with the intakes - It went up a reasonable amount when opened and down when closed.

Guess I'm done with lump, except for steaks on the grill. Which is ok because I can catch the Kinsgford two 10lb bag sales they have in the spring at Home Depot and save a bunde.

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky