Bourbon Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mythmaster

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Mar 24, 2010
Guthrie, OK
I found this Jim Beam marinade recipe back before I bought my smoker and joined this site, and I finally got around to trying it Sunday.

I also tried spritzing them this time with a 3:1 mixture of apple juice and Jim Beam.  I won't do that again because it made the bark a bit soggy.

Anyway, they tasted *awesome*, and I'll probably do this from now on.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

So here's some Q-view for you all:

Trimmed St. Louis style and halved to fit into my 30" MES:

In the marinade:

Out of the marinade:

Molasses:

Rubbed (Memphis-style recipe with 1/2 the cayenne):

Brown Sugar:

About melted:

More rub:

Just some rub on the tips:

Smoked with Pecan for 6 hours at 220-240*.  Spritzing messed up my normally quite-black bark:

Going into foil with spritz for 30 mins:

Sliced:

It was late so I didn't make any sides.  I finished them up last night with some baked beans and Texas toast.

I learned 2 things from this little experiment:

(1)  I really, really liked that marinade

(2)  Never will I spritz again

Cheers, everyone!
smile.gif

Last edited:
Looks real good. One question, did you foil and put them back on the fire for 30 minutes with the spritz or just spritz and foil for 30 minutes?

Thanks.  I didn't put it back in the heat.  I think I'll do that again next time, too, I just won't spritz while it's smoking.

icon_cool.gif

Let me get this staight you didn't foil and you didn't spritz either and your ribs came out looking like that. HHHmmmmmm I might just have to re-think this whole way that I do my ribs...........

Good looking ribs, and they sound tasty too. I have also noticed a soft bark when spritzing. I don't sptitz during the last hour (unfoiled). It seems to help. It's all good my friend.

Mark, I did spritz that time (I never foil), but normally I don't and the bark comes out blacker which is how I like it.  I like the idea of adding some flavor with a spritz as I put them in the foil to rest though, so I'm going to try that again next time without spritzing while they smoke.

Also, I know that most people don't marinate their ribs, but you guys should really try that out sometime.  The flavor was very extremely good.

Cool.  Yeah, I want to try it with some JD.  Also, I used a PBR that I had for the beer, but I'm thinking that a Guiness would work great.

I'm planning on burning some this weekend. I will tweak the Jim Bean recipe as I am more of a Johnnie Walker man. Will let you all know how it comes out.

Ribs Look Great...
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Didn't see the drinks,  JD or PBR...
icon_mrgreen.gif

Nice looking ribs.  How was the rub?  I have been using Jeffs for a while now and while good, I want to try something different.

Thanks.  I've used the rub several times and really like it.  I don't even put sauce on the ribs when I eat them -- it's that good.  I only use 1/2 the cayenne that the recipe calls for, and it's just enough heat for me.

I've been wanting to try Jeff's though, too, and I will eventually.

Brett,

It's nice to see someone else that likes to use moleasses on their pig.

If ya like that you really should see if you can get some steens cane syrup.

Use it just like you would the molasses .Has a different taste but still real good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky