boston butt cook time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

goat4444

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 14, 2010
I just bought a 9.52 pound boston butt and im gona smoke it on an electric smoker,with no adjustable temp.I have a meat thermomater,my quistions is any guess on the time,I think the smoker stays about 225-240 any estamates will help.

A general rule is to figure about 1.5 hours per pound.

1.5 hours per pound is a good rough guideline. It may go faster, or it may take longer. But make sure you use that thermo and cook it to the proper temp, regardless of time. But if you follow that guideline you will have a rough idea of when dinner will be ready.

What piney and wutang said. Don't be afraid to start early because it can take longer then expected. If it gets done early though, you can always foil it, wrap it into a couple of towels and throw it into a cooler to hold it for up to 6 hours if need be. This is good practice anyway. Make sure to let it rest for at least 30 minutes to let the juices re-distribute.

I plan on 2 hours per pound just to be on the safe side as far as getting it ready for a meal. Worst case it gones done sooner, and I wrap it up in foil, and toss it in a cooler for a little longer. I plan time wise to put the finished butts in the cooler for a minimum of 2 hours before pulling.

good luck.

Thats good advice I feel if its for a meal that day you need to add in some extra time and it can rest in the cooler longer if needed. Its much easier for it to finish sooner and rest in the cooler than explain to hungry people waiting for it that the temperature hasn't been reached yet then it has to rest at least an hour. Those nice people tend to become nasty and say bad things when that happens
biggrin.gif

Ditto what everyone had said. I even add a hour to 2 to the 2 hr/lb extimate whenever I can. That way I know I have time for the meat to rest in a cooler plus time to properly prep & pull the meat.

Evidently you've not seen me I always look like an idiot but if the food is done on time they usually don't call me one
biggrin.gif

My rule of thumb is 1.5 12oz. beers per lb. This can vary based on the weather, the wifes ability to nag about you standing by the smoker all day and your experience level with smoking with beer in hand... Good luck and let's see some pics...

You should always try to allow yourself plenty of time for you can always leave it in the cooler for longer then an hour. But if your guest don't understand then I guess they should have gone somewhere else then. There's always sometihng to go wrong but your gest should understand heck sent them for more drink. Cause after all the food will taste really good once it come off or out of the smoker. And to me good tasting food cann't be rushed.

Last 2 butts I smoked and the only 2 I have ever smoked, took 2 different paths on cook time. First one was 6 lbs and took 9 hrs, Second one was 4 lbs and took 8 1/2 hours, it had a big stall. They both tasted great. So my lesson learned was cook early and if done to soon foil and towel in cooler

If you need to speed up the process, maybe you can try insulating your smoker to get a higher cooking temperature. I know that some here have used water heater insulation blankets, etc. to wrap around in cold or windy weather. Any more, I smoke my butts at 260-275, because it reduces the cooking time and I haven't seen where there is any disadvantage. It does force you to drink your 1.5 beers/lb a little faster though!
tongue.gif

It all depends on your smokin temps. I smoke em at 250 and I figure 12 hours whether I have a 6 pounder or 3 - 8 pounders in the smoker. If they aren't done in 12 hours I pull them and put them in the oven at 300 until they hit 200. If they get done sooner I put them in the cooler until I'm ready to pull them.... as long as 4 to 6 hours. Never had a bad one yet.

For me , I just did my 2nd pulled pork this past weekend...(turned out great) The 1st one was 2-yrs ago for the Giants SB......

I used the Digital thermometer,, this is a must,, I had a butt that was approx. 5.5 lbs, it took a little over 9.5 hrs. Temps stayed beteewn 225-250...The DT is the key to a succesfull butt ...Just follow the rules that apply !!

1)- apply rub & inject if like
2)-have smoker @ necessary temps & keep smoke to 140-150
(do not crank heat)..!! also keep spritzing every half hr.
3)- foil @ 165
4)- keep in smoker or oven till butt hits 205..
5)-wrap with towels & put in cooler, untill u are ready to pull !!
.....I put my butt in a foil pan ,add some of the mop juice ,, WOW,, It helps with keeping moist & you have a great flavorfull finishing sauce to put on later !!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky