Boston Butt bone in..16.5hrs and still cooking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

danbono

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 19, 2012
North New Jersey Paramus
Hi All Why is IT taking sooo long to cook my Boston Butt bone in.
The BB weight is 5 1/2 lbs. started last night at 7 PM this morning at 7 AM, 12 Hrs later temp reading of 174. I let it cook for another 4 1/2 hrs. I had to leave so I wrapped in foil. Came home now IT is in the oven un foiled cooking at 275
I check the smoker an food temps during the night, smoker temps 225-235, food temp around the 170's.
I'm using Maverick 732 to check temps. The Maverick is correct cause I checked it using boiling water, read 212

Even my briskets take awhile to cook/smoke.
I have a Master Forge Vertical Electric smoker. The BB was the only thing in the smoker, water pan filled with sand, if that matters any, also the lid was closed most of the time.
HELP!!!!

DanB

I'm having the same problem with with a BBQ Grillware propane smoker...put it on at 10PM last night and at 2:30 today it's still sitting at 170 degrees...

OK then I'm not the only one...Took 2 more hrs in the oven to finally reach 200. Pulled a  bit tatse Mmmmmmmmmm I like IT..
drool.gif

Dan

Last edited:
Hi All pics after 16.5 hrs smoker, 2 hrs oven. 18.5 hrs for 5.5 Butt, some thing NOT right???  Enjoy

Dan

bd6a6a07_DSC01161.jpg

6af51994_DSC01176.jpg

Last edited:
If it was an Enhanced Butt, injected with brine from the packer, or you injected it, it will add time. It is a little unusual for 5.5lb BB to go over 12 hours but can happen. Doesn't look like it was anything you did. The end result looks good enough to eat...JJ

Ya gotta start practicing "Patience", always in a hurry, meat takes time(long story,just accept it). That's why I (plan) on 1.5hrs./lb. of meat and add sisurance time (avg. ~2hr.lb), and don't peek at it ; no-one is gonna get it with you sitting on it, and it sure isn't gonna walk away. Be patient. you'll be rewarded...

HI All

If it was an Enhanced Butt, injected with brine from the packer, or you injected it, it will add time.

The butt came from my local supermarket, the butcher went into the back to get it.I don't know why they don't put them in the meat case along with the shoulders.

I didn't inject it.

Ya gotta start practicing "Patience", always in a hurry, meat takes time(long story,just accept it). That's why I (plan) on 1.5hrs./lb. of meat and add sisurance time (avg. ~2hr.lb), and don't peek at it ; no-one is gonna get it with you sitting on it, and it sure isn't gonna walk away. Be patient. you'll be rewarded...

I am/was "patience, but all told 18 hrs to cook a 5.5 butt,=3 .5 hrs per lb. Just way too long in my humble opinion.

Next time I will smoke/cook at 275/300.

Al in all the butt did finally come out great. The apple N cherry gave IT a real good tatse.Would do all IT again in a Manhattan minute.

Thanks Dan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky