Boston Baked Beans

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

joed617

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
May 13, 2006
North East
1 lb. dry Navy beans
soaked the beans overnight and drained or you can put them in a pot and slowly cook them over low heat unntil they've softened but not mushy
1 lg. onion chopped up
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 c. molasses
1 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 c. firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 lb. bacon, Fried cripsy and chopped up into 1/2" pieces

Fry the bacon until cripsy and remove from pan, Add the onion and cook until wilted, add to the pot the molasses, dry mustart, worcesterdhire sauce, brown sugar and salt, Cook over low heat until all melted. Rinse
the beans and place in a bean pot <I used corning wear with a lid> pour the moalsses mixture, bacon and onion over the beans and with a spoon mix well.. add water so the beans are covered and place them in a 250 deg oven for 6 hours covered.. checking the liquid and making sure that the beans are always under the liquid. remove cover and place back the oven for 2 more hours <or you can place then in your smoker as I did when I did my brisket for 2 hours to get a smokey flavor to them> At this point the only thing I have to stress about is keeping enough liquid in the bean pot so the beans don't dry out during the cooking stage ..

Joe

It's my oldest son's b'day next tuesday and we are doing his birthday dinner on monday, he wants ribs, baked beans and fresh green beans, potato salad and all the usual BBQ fixing's. I've done the Wicked Baked Beans the last two times so I think I will try your's this weekend. Sounds good. Have you ever tried it with Great Northern's? I cook Navy's some times but I prefer the Great Northern. Also, if you put about a tsp of baking soda it will make it a little less gassy :oops: :D :D

Rodger, Yes to both .. the baking soda and the Great Northern beans .. These bean have a lot of flavor .. I used my bacon :) in the beans ..

Joe

yo y'all,
i have found
that if you soak overnite-
them simmer at least 7 hrs--
most of the gas is gone.

keep water in pot.

this is one of the few dishes ,
that i use bacon in.
i dont buy much bacon.

i do add a can of carrots per lb of navy's.

BLACK DRAUGHT MOLASSES.
this is a must.

if you don't already know
that they're served with cornbread.
then you can't know--
FARTS ARE FUN !!!

Larry I never had the beans with corn bread .. as a child we use to have them with Boston Brown Bread .. It came in a can and I thought it was good as a child but I ventured out one day to the grocery store and seen it on the shelf and figured "hey" why not .. got it home and opened it up, it had a nice smell to it .. I sliced a piece from the loaf, sat down and was ready for a treat from my past .. Well let me tell you, That had to be one of the worse things I could have eaten. So I can honestly say that memory of eating brown bread and beans as a child use to be a good memory..

Joe

Larry maddock is right on the $ about soakin' beans. I have been soakin' my beans for years that way, and never had a complaint about flavor. I usually change out the water a few times during the soak. Sometimes you can have fun without fartin'.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky