Books with more than recipes?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

illini40

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 12, 2017
Any good book recommendations that are more than just a cook book with recipes?

I'm interested in techniques, equipment, knowledge, etc. - more so than just recipes.

For reference, I read Meathead, by Meathead Goldwyn, and I really enjoyed it.

Not smoking related but a good one on cooking:

The food lab
J. Kenji Lopez-alt

He has a degree from MIT and is science oriented.

GeneK

I got a lot of great information from the Barbecue Bible from Steven Raichland. He talks about a bunch of global techniques of grilling and barbecue. Discussed lots of spices and how to do things like making your own smoked salt. I found it to be very entertaining and informative at the same time.

George

I’m 1/2 way through Aaron Franklin’s Meat Smoking Manifesto. I find it a good read so far and gets into plenty of detail from woods to smoker set up. As well as how he started.

I got a lot of great information from the Barbecue Bible from Steven Raichland. He talks about a bunch of global techniques of grilling and barbecue. Discussed lots of spices and how to do things like making your own smoked salt. I found it to be very entertaining and informative at the same time.

George

Thanks for the reminder. I think I have this book (borrowed), and I never really dug into it. I'll check it out.

I’m 1/2 way through Aaron Franklin’s Meat Smoking Manifesto. I find it a good read so far and gets into plenty of detail from woods to smoker set up. As well as how he started.

Awesome - thanks for the recommendation. I forgot about his book.

Just an update to this thread.

As mentioned initially, Meathead was a great read. I'm planning on going back and rereading.

I read Aaron Franklin's book. It was great. I really enjoyed all of the history, background, and techniques - more so than just a pure recipe book.

I did also read Jeff's book. It was very good. It was more recipe driven, I felt. But a very good add to the collection. And the recipes seem to be a condensed collection of some classics.

Are there any other new book recommendations out there?

I think I have learned the most doing internet searches on topics, How To..., looking at YouTube and reading all the posts on forums like this. Someone on a forum has tried, failed, tried again, succeeded and shares their experience with others. From this, I cut/pasted many responses, comments, suggestions and advice into "step by step" for a couple kinds of cooks, hot smoke bacon and burnt ends being the ones I am working on now.

I find that asking a question will get you 5 - 10 - 15 responses and many different ways to approach something, not just the way the author does things... May not work for everyone, but it works for me. Plus it saves me some money to buy more charcoal or a a new gadget and I get to interact with nice folks like you'all....:emoji_sunglasses:

Any good book recommendations that are more than just a cook book with recipes?

I'm interested in techniques, equipment, knowledge, etc. - more so than just recipes.

For reference, I read Meathead, by Meathead Goldwyn, and I really enjoyed it.
I know this post is old, but just had to chime in here. The "Bible" of food and cooking (not recipes) is On Food And Cooking: The Science And Lore Of The Kitchen by Harold McGee. It's huge—almost 900 pages, and not particularly pretty from a visual perspective (like most cookbooks today are). But according to famous chefs like Anthony Bourdain (RIP) is a must-have to understand the science of what is going on with food and the process of cooking. You can also open it up to any page, start reading, and feel smarter 10 mins later. It's a foodie's dream. Highly recommended.

Here the (Canadian link on Amazon):

I like buying older used barbecue books from Amazon. They can cost from $5 to $10 and can be interesting.

I'm reading one now I really like, its by Mike Mills , " Peace Love and Barbecue " published in 2005. Its not just a recipe book though it does have lots of recipes and tips on making rubs.

But he also talks barbecue joints, since he started 17th Street barbecue in Illinois, and comps, since he's won some big ones.

Its a good read. Shame he passed in 2020.

Most interesting finding so far, is most of us know of Meat Church seasonings and his Holy Cow beef seasoning. But there was a Holy Cow rub in Texas long before Matt Pittman started Meat Church. And it appears to be the same except I think Meat Church version is more course.

20230801_155902.jpg

20230801_155448.jpg

George
This is a great book just to sit down and read.

I agree with Danno44 Danno44 Franklin's Barbeque Meat Smoking Manifesto is a great book.
Even goes into building smokers.
More about technique the recipes.
There are some recipes at the very back.
Even if it turns out to be not exactly what you are looking for, it is still a great read.

I like buying older used barbecue books from Amazon. They can cost from $5 to $10 and can be interesting.

I'm reading one now I really like, its by Mike Mills , " Peace Love and Barbecue " published in 2005. Its not just a recipe book though it does have lots of recipes and tips on making rubs.

But he also talks barbecue joints, since he started 17th Street barbecue in Illinois, and comps, since he's won some big ones.

Its a good read. Shame he passed in 2020.

Most interesting finding so far, is most of us know of Meat Church seasonings and his Holy Cow beef seasoning. But there was a Holy Cow rub in Texas long before Matt Pittman started Meat Church. And it appears to be the same except I think Meat Church version is more course.

View attachment 672566
View attachment 672567
I am reading this for the 2nd or 3rd time! 17th was a couple miles from me. (when i lived in IL!)

Reactions: Smokin Okie
IMO, " Franklin Barbecue " is the best barbecue book ever written. It greatly inspired me to make better barbecue, after being relatively content cooking on a WSM for 15 years.

And its not a recipe book, its about wood, fire, and smoke. You add your own recipes.

The impact the book has had globally is incredible. It encouraged the growth of central Texas barbecue and the 1K propane tank smoker world wide.

Reactions: 02ebz06
One of my favorites is Legends of Texas Barbecue Cook Book by Robb Walsh. It does have some simple recipes, but the lore is excellent if you are into Texas barbecue in particular.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky