Book: "Charcuterie - The Craft of Salking, Smoking, and Curing"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

biaviian

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
I've had this book for a while (I buy many food books and never open them) but I never actually picked it up and read it. Well I just did this weekend and I was surprised by the recipes in the book. They all (when using a dry cure) call for the curing to last 7 days. They never switch this time according to meat/size/recipe/etc.... What are the opinions on this? If it matters all recipes use #1 or #2).

Great book but the static 7 days concerns me.

Last edited:
It's a great book.

When I use one of his recipes I follow it as published.

No problems yet.

I read his blog...very interesting at times..

http://ruhlman.com/  

Have a great day!!

Craig

From what I understand Cure 1 does its thing in 3 or 4 days.  After that it is equalization, drying etc.  I normally do 10 - 14 days for bacon depending on thickness when I do a dry cure.  I am happy with the results.

Thanks for the quick response. I'll have to take a look at the blog. I really like the variety of recipes and the sources that are listed in the back. I can't wait until next week so I can try some (I'm traveling this week).

I checked it out of the library and read it cover to cover.  I liked it and got some good info and ideas.  Later I bought the Kutas book sight unseen based on recommendations here.  Of the two, I would purchase Kutas first and Ruhlman second.  Both are worth having.  If I could only have one, I would go with Kutas.  Ruhlman has another very interesting book about his time at CIA. I need to check that one out again.  I think the title was The Making of a Chef or something like that.

Good luck and good smoking!

I have both books and enjoy them both. I love the pictures in the Ruhlman book big time 

icon_cool.gif

Now when I cure bacons and sausages I usually cure them for 10-14 days. Now I think that charcuterie uses the cure know as #2 and it is made to stay on the meat fopr a long time. Now I have been wanting to do some of this stuff dry curing but I just haven't got around to it yet. Let me know how things go too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky