Boneless Short Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nycg8r

Original poster
Oct 11, 2012
Yesterday at my butcher I picked up some boneless short ribs seeing that they looked pretty good. I figured I'll buy them and come here and figure out how to cook them. Well after a decent amount of searching I am still a bit unsure on proper technique. Right now I am leaning towards the 3-2-1 method but I guess I'd like to get a little better idea on internal temp etc that I should look for at each stage. Additionally, if you have a different suggestion as to how to smoke, I'm all ears. This will be my first smoke on my new smoker so dinner rests on my shoulders.
Thank you!

Was wondering about this too.  Will wait and see what the guys tell you to.  If you don't mind! 
biggrin.gif

Kat

Hmm, being boneless and short, seems you could just marinade them and grill, but if you want to smoke I would not do a 3-2-1. I don't even do a 3-2-1 for beef ribs w/bones. More like a 2-1.5-1 or a 2-1-1 depending on how much fat is involved.  Don't worry too much on internal temp, beef turns a beautiful brown color when it is getting done. I prefer my beef ribs like I do my steaks, not over done.

So just to report back, I ended up making these last Sunday to limited success as I was not a huge fan but my two sons loved it.   I put em in dry at 250 till they hit 170 about 2.5-3hrs, then I foiled them up with lots of liquids to 185 and then took em out and let em smoke again till 195-8.  I would have thought I would have been able to break down some of the fats at 190 but it was not as tender as I would have liked especially when you know how awesome these are when you braise them.  

I think in the future I will stick with the tried and true things to smoke although I am intrigued by how beef cheeks would turn out.

I've been doing these with a reverse sear (1-2 hrs at 180-200 in the smoker then just a couple of minutes on a hot grill to get the IT to 125) and slicing thin medium rare slices to serve. They really come out tasty and they reheat well.

Scott, you need to brine them for 7-10 days, let air dry one night in fridge ,season and smoke for 7-8 hours till butterey tender .. You can find different pastami -corned beef brine recipes by searching the forums ... I use Pops recipe slightly modified for my particular taste ... I must tell you it was the best pastrami I have eaten

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky