Boned, Rolled & Trussed Thanxgiving Turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lcruzen

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 16, 2007
Hell, Michigan
I like doing turkeys this way when I have the time as it makes for a more relaxing Turkey Day for the chef as most of the work in done a day or 2 beforehand. Also I think you make the best use possible of all of the bones for stock.

The bigger the bird the easier this is to do. I start with a 18lb plus turkey and I believe in finding the cheapest bird possible. I've never noticed much of a difference between fresh and frozen turkeys.

The first step is to separate the dark meat from the white meat by cutting down to the back bone between the breast and thigh on both sides. Then just snap the back bone and they are separated.

Now it is a matter of following the bone structure along the leg and thigh with a sharp boning knife and remove the bones up to the back.

The most important thing to remember here is to be sure you get all of the skinny strands cartilages out of the legs.

When your satisfied with your cartilage/bone removal continue to follow thru to remove the back.

Now you have a perfectly boneless hunka dark turkey meat to roll and truss but not before hitting it with your favorite rub.

I like to pull the skin back, roll the meat, re-wrap the skin and tie er up.

The breast/wing portion of the bird is much easier to work with. I remove the wing flat and tip and then again follow the bone structure with a sharp boning knife.

Then follow the rib cage all the way around the breast for a nice hunka white turkey meat.

Season with rub, roll and tie after pulling the skin back. Here we now have a nice roll of dark and white meat ready to smoke.

Now I have all of these bones browned up for the stock pot.

I was able to sleep in and didn't get this bird on the Weber Kettle until 11:00am for a 2:30 dinner. Stock, stuffing, potatoes, cranberry sauce, corn, salad, relish, and gravy were all done Wednesday night.

Turkey all slice up with dark meat at the bottom and white meat at the top. Take what you prefer or mix and match.

And now the chef finally gets his plate made.

/ message sig

Thanx for taking a look!

That looks fantastic! Thanks for the tutorial. I've never done that, but would like to give it a try. Beautiful plate of food too!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky