bone in or boneless shoulder?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Carvendive

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Sep 15, 2018
NE Wisconsin
Costco has boneless at $2.19 my butcher has bone in at $1.83. $0.36 is pretty much irrelevant.
1. Which is going to TASTE BETTER?
2. Which is going to smoke better / easier?
PS taste is going to Trump all other issues.

1. Which is going to TASTE BETTER?
2. Which is going to smoke better / easier?
1. Technically bone-in or boneless, its the same meat. I feel that bone-in meat cooks better. I feel like there is more bone, bone marrow, tendons and connective tissue that renders during a long cook that adds a depth and dimension that boneless cuts lack. I also feel that the Bone heats at a different rate than the meat helping to create a more even cooking.
Having said this, I do not think that if served head-to-head that I could tell the difference.

2. Define "easier." Boneless means ready to serve faster and a much better idea of your final end-product weight. Also easy to season inside and out.

Bone in for sure. I’ve only cooked boneless once...turned out good but the boneless cooks better IMO and you end up with better meat/results in the long run. Not sure where you are located but got a couple local grocery stores around here selling for $.99 lb right now. Just got spare ribs for $1.79 lb yesterday

I have done both and there is not much difference in flavor if any. I prefer bone in like most posters here but both make great pulled pork. :emoji_cat:

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky