Bologna HELP!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sniffdaddy

Original poster
Jul 10, 2015
Bologna issue

OK so I’ve now made two batches of bologna and the taste is great so I’m satisfied with the recipe and taste.

Liquid is my issue.  I mix my batch adding water as instructed.  The mix is easily squeezed through your fingers that I’d call a heavy paste consistency. Then I stuff the mix into my casings – red fibrous bologna casings.  I tie one end, pack pretty well and tie the other end.  The casings had been soaked in water for 30 minutes. 

I then lay the stuffed casings under a fan to dry.  I wipe them off.  They seem dry to the touch.  It’s about 30 minutes from when I stuffed them.

So I go to the smoker with them starting about 150°F.  I smoke for about an hour then raise the temp to 200°F and leave them until the internal temp of 155 is reached.  I remove them from the smoker.

The product I get from the smoker is still a nice looking chub – but its bologna surrounded by it’s juices.  When I pierced the chub to get the temp I basically get running water that drains out, then the casing is loose on the bologna.

What am I doing wrong?????  Should I be piercing the casing before smoking??  Before the drying process???  Should the drying process allow the liquid to leave the bologna before smoking?  Maybe I haven't mixed enough or let the chubs sit to combine ingredients?

Help!!

Cooking too hot.

Start at 120 with no smoke for 2 hours, then add smoke and go to 130. Each half hour after that, bump the temp up 10 degrees. Do this until you get to a pit temp of 170. Stay at 170 until your IT is 152-155.

Cooking too hot.

Start at 120 with no smoke for 2 hours, then add smoke and go to 130. Each half hour after that, bump the temp up 10 degrees. Do this until you get to a pit temp of 170. Stay at 170 until your IT is 152-155.
yeahthat.gif

DS 

Also I would poke little holes in the casings like you would for summer sausage.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky