Boiling Kielbasa Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bud J

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 3, 2020
Hi to all and hopefully everyone is enjoying this “odd” Thanksgiving.

I have a question regarding Kielbasa. I am new to sausage making and have only made a few lbs of breakfast sausage and, as of today, some kielbasa .

When I was a kid, my Grandmother used to make FRESH kielbasa. Not quite sure how she made it as being 5-10 years old I was only interested in Wonderful World of Disney on TV.

Anyway, I remember how grey the sausage was but it had a unique and delicious flavor. Again, not sure of her recipe but my question is this...

To keep that grey color, the sausage had to be boiled. In learning to make kielbasa, I have watched videos where many steam the meat. I’m all for steaming, especially vegetables but will there be a difference steaming kielbasa since there is a casing. With many items, boiling “boils” away flavor BUT will it with kielbasa since it is encased? Will the water penetrate the casing?

I have a question regarding Kielbasa. I am new to sausage making and have only made a few lbs of breakfast sausage and, as of today, some kielbasa .

When I was a kid, my Grandmother used to make FRESH kielbasa. Not quite sure how she made it as being 5-10 years old I was only

When I was a kid, my Grandmother used to make FRESH kielbasa. Not quite sure how she made it as being 5-10 years old I was only interested in Wonderful World of Disney on TV.

Anyway, I remember how grey the sausage was but it had a unique and delicious flavor. Again, not sure of her recipe but my question is this...

To keep that grey color, the sausage had to be boiled. In learning to make kielbasa, I have watched videos where many steam the meat. I’m all for steaming, especially vegetables but will there be a difference steaming kielbasa since there is a casing. With many items, boiling “boils” away flavor BUT will it with kielbasa since it is encased? Will the water penetrate the casing?
Place the kielbasa in a large pot and cover with water then bring to a boil. Reduce to a slow simmer and skim the protein off the top. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes. It is now done but you can put it on a pan in a hot oven for 15 minutes to crisp the casings.

Generally speaking, smoked kielbasa has cure added and is a fully cooked product. It only needs reheating, and it has a light pink color. Hillshire Farm brand Kielbasa is a good example of this. If your Granny's kielbasa was fresh (without cure) and she poached it.... it would still be fully cooked as well...., just gray in color.

New England 'gray' corned beef is a similar product. It is still salted and seasoned, it just doesn't contain nitrites or nitrates so it does not pick-up the deep color that cured beef does.

i boil my fresh kielbasi about 20 minutes, it's actually my favorite way to make it. like you it was the way i remember having it growing up. no it doesn't ruin the flavor the water doesn't penetrate the casing.

YOU NEVER BOIL SAUSAGES! Unless you want the casing to Split and all the Fat and Flavor in the water rather than in the Sausage. At sea level, water will just begin to SIMMER at 180°. 185-190°F is what most recipes will call Simmering in Liquid. Some sources refer to Simmering over a range of temps from 180°F to 205°F.
140°F to 180°F is POACHING, there is some steam but no bubbling. 170°F is a common temp to Poach Sausage as there is litte risk of melting the Fat out of Fresh Sausages.
BOILING, takes place at 212°F at Sea Level. This is Very different than Poaching or Simmering and the highest temp Water can reach. Boiling cooks food Faster than the lower temp Poaching or Simmering, and although Boiling is great for Pasta, it can toughen meat and is Not Recommended...

Biala Kielbasa aka, White Kielbasa (Gray interior when cooked) is the same ingredients, Garlic, Salt, Pepper and maybe Marjoram, as Smoked Kielbasa, just no cure. However, some producers, make One big batch of Kielbasa, with Cure, and just put some aside to be Simmered, the rest gets Smoked. The Cure does not have a huge impact on the Simmered Kielbasa flavor ,although the Simmered Kielbasa will be a little Pink when cooked.
In my house, growing up, both Styles of Kielbasa were Simmered with Sauerkraut.

Mom, Sautéed some Onion and Garlic, in Bacon grease, added Drained Sauerkraut and a Bayleaf, and Sautéed another minute or so. Mom then covered the Kapusta with water and Simmered it 30 minutes.
Next, one or the other types of Kielbasa were added and everything was Simmered an additional 30 minutes.
The whole deal was served with Mashed Potatoes and usually, Buttered Peas.

I still make White Kielbasa this way. Smoked Kielbasa, my Wife and kids, prefer, Split links, Broiled or Grilled until Browe and Crispy, inside and out. I still prefer Smoked Kielbasa with Kraut, but...Happy Wife, Blah, Blah, Blah...JJ

Reactions: Bud J and indaswamp
Ahh, Disney and Bonanza at grandma’s on Sundays, with color TV!

And the pot roast and fixins she pulled out of thin air.

Reactions: Bud J
Bud J, evening.... It's TIME !!!!! Sous Vide machine.... "Simmer" at 140F.... They come out awesome.... You should use the pasteurization table... Makes MOBETTA meats....

Temperature Time Temperature Time
°F (°C) (Minutes) °F (°C) (Seconds)
130 (54.4) 112 min 146 (63.3) 169 sec
131 (55.0) 89 min 147 (63.9) 134 sec
132 (55.6) 71 min 148 (64.4) 107 sec
133 (56.1) 56 min 149 (65.0) 85 sec
134 (56.7) 45 min 150 (65.6) 67 sec
135 (57.2) 36 min 151 (66.1) 54 sec
136 (57.8) 28 min 152 (66.7) 43 sec
137 (58.4) 23 min 153 (67.2) 34 sec
138 (58.9) 18 min 154 (67.8) 27 sec
139 (59.5) 15 min 155 (68.3) 22 sec
140 (60.0) 12 min 156 (68.9) 17 sec
141 (60.6) 9 min 157 (69.4) 14 sec
142 (61.1) 8 min 158 (70.0) 0 sec
143 (61.7) 6 min
144 (62.2) 5 min
145 (62.8) 4 min
Table C.1: Pasteurization times for beef, corned beef, lamb, pork and cured pork (FDA, 2009, 3-401.11.B.2).

Bud I have been making fresh most of my life, here is a post with the recipe for five pounds.
As JJ said you can add cure to it so you can smoke it.
Here is another showing it cooked
Richie

Bud J, evening.... It's TIME !!!!! Sous Vide machine.... "Simmer" at 140F.... They come out awesome.... You should use the pasteurization table... Makes MOBETTA meats....

Yeah...been thinking about that. Just officially retired and have been buying a LOT of items; including a new fridge so I can keep more meat and things.
Just bought a meat grinder and stuffer also so Sous may have to wait a bit...but it will happen.

Bud I have been making fresh most of my life, here is a post with the recipe for five pounds.

Richie

Thanks Richie, the recipe I used was almost exact sans the sugar. Mine didn’t come out as nice looking as yours since this was my first time using hog casings and this size...but still eats good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky