Boerewors (ˈbu ravors) & Sausage Making Day

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

woodcutter

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 2, 2012
Marathon Wisconsin
My brother had some Boerewors when he was in Africa and said it was one of the better sausages he ever had so we made some last week. He had 2 recipes from some people he knows in Africa but we settled on this link from Digging Dog.

http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5137

Boerewors Recipe
INGREDIENTS
3 lb Beef (Chuck)
3 lb Pork (Picnic)
1/2 to 1 lb bacon (or bacon ends) *
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1 clove garlic
4 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp salt (Adobo without Pepper) **
1 tsp ground pepper
2 Tbsp ground coriander seeds
1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground dried thyme
1/2 tsp ground allspice (e.g. Publix complete seasoning)
1/4 tsp ground cloves

We made a small batch, test fried and decided it was good stuff so we made 60 lbs. It is like a beef brat that is heavily seasoned and is also a fresh sausage without cure. It is grilled as a coil and not divided into links. When serving you just wack off what you want.

Part of the crew.

Boerewors and brats.

We had the family get together and make sausage for a Saturday. I had more fun spending time with everyone making sausage than when we get together for Christmas. Nobody could seem to remember how to pronounce Boerewors so by the end of the day we were calling it "Boar's head". We also made 50 lbs of summer sausage with a kit from Curley's. My brother sells cheese so he brought some heat restrained cheddar for the mix.

We coarse ground moose meat and added 20% pork fat. It took 12 hours in the smoker with apple pellets in the AMNPS and black cherry hunks in the chip tray. Pulled at 150 and piled in a cooler outside with the lid opened a little. It was -10 that day. The texture turned out nice and moist. Not rubbery or dry.

The day before everyone arrived I had Canadian Bacon and Ham in the smoker.

We had some fresh sub buns and ham and CB for lunch. Everyone took home a hunk. We also made 60lbs of sweet Italian sausage and vacuum packed into 1 lb bags. I was very busy and didn't get as many pictures as I wanted. Everyone had a good time and was talking about changes or things to try next year.......Thanks for looking!

LOL.... I was just thinking the same thing, isn't so much more fun when everyone is doing something together and having fun than it is sitting around bored with nothing to talk about but those who aren't there.... Sure looks like fun, but where are the grand kids? I bet they were disappointed.

Looks like family fun, soon you'll be doing a Mr. Todd's family's boucherie! Be careful they'll start call you a coonazz.

LOL.... I was just thinking the same thing, isn't so much more fun when everyone is doing something together and having fun than it is sitting around bored with nothing to talk about but those who aren't there.... Sure looks like fun, but where are the grand kids? I bet they were disappointed.

Looks like family fun, soon you'll be doing a Mr. Todd's family's boucherie! Be careful they'll start call you a coonazz.
I had the flu Tuesday and Wednesday the week before and my wife started Friday night. She stayed in the bedroom all day. My daughter said those kids were not coming anywhere near my house while anyone had the flu. My oldest grandson was disappointed and told his mother he wanted to help so he could get some summer sausage. He was worried he wouldn't get any because of all the people that were here..........lol

Finished up my Boerewors and some brats for lunch today.  Boerewors is really a good tasting sausage on the grill. Kind of like a beefy- spicy brat.

I missed this while I was away - those look really good Todd! 
drool.gif
  Would you mind if I give your recipe a try?

Finished up my Boerewors and some brats for lunch today.  Boerewors is really a good tasting sausage on the grill. Kind of like a beefy- spicy brat.

I missed this while I was away - those look really good Todd! 
drool.gif
  Would you mind if I give your recipe a try?
Try them I think you'll like them. My brother has some business contacts in Africa and has been getting more recipes. The meat, coriander and salt is pretty constant in all of them but the rest of the recipes are all over the board. One guy explained to my brother that they are family secret recipes handed down and that is why they vary so much.

that boerwors looks excellent, diggin the coarse grind. this sausage would be excellent made w/ oryx. maybe an oryx or lamb, brisket, pork mixture. the recipe i developed has allspice and coriander, either way yours looks extraordinary, making sausage is fun, love the coils!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky