bloom

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
It may mean different things in different situations. Working in meat depts, it refers to the change in the color of the meat. When first removed from the cryovac bag, beef is very dark almost brown. Once the oxygen in the atmosphere gets to it it starts to bloom or turn red. Often this happens when meat is cut from the primal into a steak or roast.

okay with that said, when it refers to sausage. you already have meat that has already been aged, or frozen. will the meat bloom again, or after i make the sausage and put it into casing and put into the fridge. i have heard the phrase, to put into the fridge and let it bloom.

dannylang

Think of Sausage Bloom like eating Pulled Pork, Soup or Stew the next day...Given some time to age the flavors meld and it taste better. The division comes between guys that bloom smoked sausage at room temp a couple of hours and those that just put it in the refer overnight. I tried both and see no difference. I let my sausage cool on the counter than bag and refer for the next day eating and vacpacking for the freezer...JJ

Moderators likely eclipse my knowledge here so I feel odd trying to add to this, but I'd like to add... I refrigerate uncovered overnight not only to let the flavors meld, but also to dry out the surface... I don't have a vacuum sealer. I find drying the surface of meat overnight and uncovered amazing at preventing freezer burn when I do zip lock bag and freeze after

Moderators likely eclipse my knowledge here so I feel odd trying to add to this, but I'd like to add... I refrigerate uncovered overnight not only to let the flavors meld, but also to dry out the surface... I don't have a vacuum sealer. I find drying the surface of meat overnight and uncovered amazing at preventing freezer burn when I do zip lock bag and freeze after
Absolutely. Most of the last few years I only had 1 refer and the Mrs' was not having uncovered anything smoked sit in the refer to taint everything else....JJ

Haha... I get the complaints but I try to play it off as just the lingering from the house and yard and my clothes smelling like smoke... I don't know if it works, but I only get comments like "it still smells like smoke in here"

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky