Bloody Mary pickled eggs Part deux

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
Good morning All,
This is something me and xray xray have been going back and forth over for a bit now. I found a recipe that calls for V8 juice in it.

While working on that. We got to talking about ramping things up a bit. And I suggested "Bloody Mary eggs" Xray was the first one to give it a try.
These came out tasty according to his report. But not what he was expecting. And the eggs I made using the original recipe were also good. But just didn't have the kick
I was looking for either.

So, I made a comment about trying another batch. And this time use some of the spicy vinegar I made using tx smoker tx smoker recipe. Which is very simple. But very tasty.
It is just a 50/50 mix of white and cider vinegar with a dozen or so cayenne peppers per quart. Heated up to simmer. Then cooled and bottled.
And I used a Bloody Mary mixer that I enjoy. Enjoy so much in fact. I'll often just drink it straight.

PB110006.jpg

This recipe is also quite easy:
1 cup of the spicy vinegar.
2 cups of the Bloody Mary mixer.
16 boiled eggs. Well, it started as 18. But one was tested to ensure it is done. And one that refused to peel.

PB110008.jpg

Ended up with a quart and a pint jar. I also recycled the cayenne peppers for another batch of spicy vinegar. There was also a touch of the brine left. So that went back into the bottle of mixer for future use.

Those look promising Steve. I bet those will be good.

Your brine took on a nice color from the Bloody Mary Mix. I'm going to look for that stuff when I go to the grocery store. I know I've seen that brand either there or the state liquor store.

Depending on how the mix taste, I may think to add some horseradish, celery seed and Old Bay seasoning...but I always favored the bloody mary's that had all the fixin's in it. I always liked them when they have the crab claw and meat straw in them....but that's just me being overzealous.

Oh, and have you tried steaming the eggs? That's my new favorite way of doing them and they peel much better than ones boiled in water. Bring 1"-2" of water to a boil in a pot so it starts to steam. Put eggs in a steamer basket and steam for 12-13 minutes. Remove and place in ice bath for 5 minutes before peeling.

My favorite Bloody Mary mix is this:

xg54elw48a.jpg

When they say "Everything but the kitchen sink" They are not kidding. It has minced pickles, garlic, horseradish, etc, etc. But it is spotty finding it here. When I travel to VA, NC, or other areas and find it. I grab a case of it.
I haven't steamed them like that. But I do use my instant pot. They come out perfect. Just got lazy and did it the ol fashioned way with water and salt. 13 minute rule.

Oh, the brine was pretty darn strong. I was going to add some horseradish. But didn't think it needed it.

I typed a search in the Wegmans app. They have a brand called "Texas Beach Bloody Mary Mix." I may try that.

So, I made a comment about trying another batch. And this time use some of the spicy vinegar I made using tx smoker tx smoker tx smoker tx smoker recipe. Which is very simple. But very tasty.
It is just a 50/50 mix of white and cider vinegar with a dozen or so cayenne peppers per quart. Heated up to simmer. Then cooled and bottled.

The spicy vinegar I passed on actually came to me via Joe xray xray I just stole it and posted a couple times.

When I make my spicy vinegar I actually put 16 cayenne peppers into 12 oz vinegar. Not sure how much kick you're gonna get with a dozen in a quart. If you need more cayennes Steve, let me know. I have a pretty good sized bag (bigger than the two combined I sent last time) that I can pass along to you. They have been dried but would probably still work just fine.

See what you guys got started??
Robert

The spicy vinegar I passed on actually came to me via Joe xray xray I just stole it and posted a couple times.

When I make my spicy vinegar I actually put 16 cayenne peppers into 12 oz vinegar. Not sure how much kick you're gonna get with a dozen in a quart. If you need more cayennes Steve, let me know. I have a pretty good sized bag (bigger than the two combined I sent last time) that I can pass along to you. They have been dried but would probably still work just fine.

See what you guys got started??
Robert

Haha! I know! I think that will be strong enough. But I'll keep your offer in mind. Thank you.

Hmmm. My nephew is a regional sales manager for Master of Mixes. Might have to hit him up for a taste test. A case would probably be about right.

Hmmm. My nephew is a regional sales manager for Master of Mixes. Might have to hit him up for a taste test. A case would probably be about right.

You should give them I try. They are pretty good.

After 19 days under vacuum I'm reporting this experiment a failure. With regular pickled eggs they would have been plenty "pickled" after this amount of time in vacuum. Maybe the blend of tomato juice and vinegar is just too dense to penetrate into the egg properly. There is flavor. But not near what I wanted. It is weak.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky