bland hotdogs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Foxvalley

Original poster
Nov 25, 2021
I used a pre-blended mix for hotdogs with a 60/40 venison / pork but with no melt cheddar double grind blend. I cooked them in high temp water in lieu of smoke. They had no flavor and I removed them from the removable casing. Is it possible to re-blend this meat with some added pork and seasoning and then smoke them?

If the pre-mix had cure # 1 in it and you add more pork, then you need to add the appropriate amount of pre-mix to the mix, or you will need to add some cure #1 to make up for the added pork. This is why it’s better to get the seasoning mix, and the cure #1 separately.
Al

Last edited:
I have never reground meat that was cooked. Do you think it will get mushy or have bad texture?

I cooked them in high temp water in lieu of smoke.
Good info above .
2 things come to mind for me .
1 . What temp was the water , and for how long ?
I just poached some Bockwurst in hog casings . 175 degree water for 30 minutes .
To long and to high you will cook the seasoning out of them .

2. How much cheese ?
My opinion the high temp cheese doesn't carry much flavor . More cheese than meat might make it bland .

Reactions: SmokinEdge
cooked at 180 for 20 minutes. I had 20 pounds with 5 pounds of cheddar. Im thinking of taking five pounds of the mix, adding a pound of pork sausage and hunter blend sausage mix at a 50% rate for smoke polish. Can always add more seasoning as necessary. Thoughts?

It was hard to figure from your first post if it was all cooked or if that was a test cook . If it's mixed uncooked just pay attention to post 2 for the addition of the correct amount of cure .

Your poaching method should be fine .

Wow that’s 25% cheese. Little steep for me.
You can add more mix, but need to be careful that the in going nitrite doesn’t go too high.

I would mix a small patty of what you want to do and fry test it. Tweak it as you go until you are happy then mix up the bigger batch and stuff.

Here is a possible fix for the dogs you already have.... do a spiral cut on them and add a sprinkle of seasoning before grilling or pan frying. Celery seed is good, as is garlic pepper (recipe below). The spiral cut lets more seasoning in (and also holds condiments). This is a little radical on the depth, I now go about half as deep with my cut.
WOiZp.jpg
dJgdy3z.jpg
Here is my garlic pepper recipe:

thirdeye's All-Purpose Garlic Pepper Seasoning
Ingredients:
3 teaspoons Garlic Powder
3 teaspoons Black Pepper
1 teaspoon Canning Salt
1/2 teaspoon Toasted Onion Powder
1/4 teaspoon Paprika

Here is a possible fix for the dogs you already have.... do a spiral cut on them and add a sprinkle of seasoning before grilling or pan frying. Celery seed is good, as is garlic pepper (recipe below). The spiral cut lets more seasoning in (and also holds condiments). This is a little radical on the depth, I now go about half as deep with my cut.
View attachment 517242
View attachment 517243
Here is my garlic pepper recipe:

thirdeye's All-Purpose Garlic Pepper Seasoning
Ingredients:
3 teaspoons Garlic Powder
3 teaspoons Black Pepper
1 teaspoon Canning Salt
1/2 teaspoon Toasted Onion Powder
1/4 teaspoon Paprika
That’s good info.

I've done the spiral cut with BBQ rub and smoked . They're really good . That would be a good way to add to the already cooked .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky