black walnut for smoking and grilling?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Black walnut is strong, just make sure it is seasoned,  Green Walnut is not good at all !!!

Gary

Where I am located we use black walnut as a smoking wood because it is ready available. However, my preference is to a heavy (biter) smoke flavor on our fresh meats. We have yet to experience any reaction to handling or smoking with black walnut wood in use with our smokers (outdoor cooking).

Hi, I have tried several times walnut wood chips separately and mixed with other flavors and can definitely state that walnut as a smoking wood has very strong and bitter taste and smell. Only mixing with some sweet fruit trees would make it better for the meat. By the way, the smoke from a walnut tree is acrid and grilling becomes unpleasant process. I have also tried different brands and stores and there is a huge different between them, because of different sizes, packages etc.. I personally think that ecowoodbbq.com  has almost the best quality/price ratio. Have bought 4 or 5 times from this store and every time perfect delivery and quality, but the price is overstated for a little, that's from negative. Walnut wood chips that I bought there weren't so caustic and strong as usual. Mix such light walnut tree with apple or cherry and you will get really interesting smoke, consequently taste and smell.

New to smoking. Gonna try black walnut. Have a huge tree in my yard the is always losing branches. People notice and ask to cart away branches for free for smoking. Gonna start using them myself. Funny story. At least twice a year, someone will inquire if I want to get rid of my tree. It is huge and they keep telling me it is going to fall over and cause damage. Some fellow last fall offered to cut it down for me. Said he would only charge me $500, and he would even cart away all the wood for free. I laughed so hard and so loud that my neighbor heard me and rushed over to see what was wrong. Imagine that. He was only going to charge ME, $500 to cut it down and he got to keep ALL the wood.

Find a reputable person that will buy the tree for the value of the wood for lumber.
Got a number of less than honest firewood cutters around here that do the same with removing that dangerous ash or oak tree from your property.
Don't know your definition of "huge" but anywhere from $500 to $5,000 in your pocket depending on the quality and board feet.
If that doesn't stop you from considering as smoking wood, read the previous posts about the toxicity.

Much of the toxins produced by the black walnut is found in the roots and green husks of the walnut fruits. It has a very distinct smell if you peel the husk apart, and in browning and decaying husks it is potent as well. I would not want my food flavored with that smell, call me picky I guess. The trunk wood does not contain high concentrations of juglone.

ive Tested walnut many times and the food came out great just like any other good wood for cooking. I’ve got customers that buy it for cooking
F170927A-97AE-4DBF-8966-6FBA51B27BC3.jpeg
41468677-3634-4D0B-B97C-337D2C8F0965.jpeg
0CB66446-E2DB-4B5E-90E6-AA7758732727.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky