black meat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

duffer426

Original poster
Nov 6, 2007
indiana
I fired up my small offset smoker monday, used royal oak lump charcoal the stuff made in U.S.A. not argentina,or brazil. used hickory chunks for smoke. cooked a 12 lb. pork picnic roast for about 8hrs. till meat temp was 170 degrees. temp. inside smoker never got over 250 degrees. my question is, the outside of the meat was black, inside was normal color, and delicious. is this black color normal? or did i do something wrong? thanks

Was the wood cured? How much did you use initially and over the course of the smoke? Do you have a decent digital thermometer? What color was the smoke?

yes the wood was cured.just one or 2 chunks of wood. have digital meat thermometer. smoke was white at times and blue at times

i have an acurite meat thermometer in the meat thruout the smoke.there is a temp. gauge in the lid of the smoker

White for how long as in relation to time blue? White = not good. Besides are we saying the outside tasted like crap? Or was just dark? "Barq" is a sought after thing...the well done darkend crispy outside of a moist tender butt.

was there a rub on it? with sugar on it.......?

my butts crust is always black........

do a search for my VIRGIN BUTT

the pics will show mine with a black exterior

d88de

No enough air flow, or uncured/ imcompletely cured wood. Or too much wood, butI don't see that with what ya said about how much ya used...wait...how much wood TOTAL? typically you'd only use like a chunk or two every hour or so.

Sounds like bark. The gang here is trying to determine if the black is creosote but from the fact that it was tasty and not bitter it doesn;t sound like it to me. Too much wood, too little air can cause the white billowy smoke. You want the smoke to look wispy, sometimes it's a faint blue sometimes it is white but as long as it wasn't billowing out the smoker , you sound ok.

the wood was from a bag of hickory cookin chunks i had bought at menards,bag says it holds 1/3 cubic foot. and i used 3/4 of the bag. it was a blue bag western is the name brand.

walking dude those pics looked just like my picnic when it was done,kind of scared me at first thought i burnt it. i still need to work on that white smoke though. thanks all for your reply`s very much appreciated

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky