Bison ribeyes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

FishAndBeer

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 4, 2020
Wisconsin
Wasn't quite sure where to put this but my local store started carrying bison ribeyes and strip steaks. I've never had bison steaks before so I decided to get a couple and give them a try.
IMG_20220212_181333.jpg

A little pricey per Lb. But they were smaller steaks so not all bad

IMG_20220213_164736.jpg

Seasoned and let them sit on the counter for a bit.

IMG_20220213_175158.jpg

Cooked on the kettle. Did the Just keep flipping method. Flipped every 20 seconds or so until they hit 130. They were super tender and delicious. I am glad I tried them!

Cheers all

Last edited:
Man?, I’ve had a lot of Buffalo burgers, but never a steak. Never thought of it until this post! Beautiful cook! Nice cook!

Reactions: FishAndBeer
Man that looks outstanding! Bison is simply delicious. Nice work and nicely done.
Thank you, it was quite good. I never had Bison before this, maybe a burger but I don't remember to be honest haha. I was surprised on how great these were.
Looks like you cooked them perfectly! Nice job!

Ryan
Thanks Ryan!
Those look mouth watering! :emoji_grimacing:
Thank you! They were great.
Both th meat and tater look fantastic.

Thanks Jack. I am glad to have Bison available after trying these!
Man?, I’ve had a lot of Buffalo burgers, but never a steak. Never thought of it until this post! Beautiful cook! Nice cook!
Thank you! I think I've had a bison burger in the past but can't recall to be honest. When I saw these at my store I had to jump on it and try it. I usually don't opt for grass fed stuff in general but these were so tender and flavorful me and the lady were in awe.

Reactions: one eyed jack

I think I'm jealous Mark. There are many cuts of beef that simply aren't available, around here, and I've never seen Bison of any kind.

You did them proud.

I think I'm jealous Mark. There are many cuts of beef that simply aren't available, around here, and I've never seen Bison of any kind.

You did them proud.
Thanks!
Top notch cook, nice job!
Thank you
I'd like to see the NY Strip steaks. Just about my favs from a cow.
Thanks, I'm usually a ribeye guy. Maybe next time I'll give the strips a try though
That looks great Mark, They are starting to sell Bison around here once in awhile. This makes me
want to give them a whril.

David
I'd recommend trying it David! They were for sure tasty!

Looks great, I have had ribeye's roasts and ground , I think it's as good as any beef I have had. also had a top round steak given to me that was great, the fat on that 1 was yellow and they man said it was from the corn it was fed.

Perfectly cooked and a great looking plate. Had bison roast when I was in Reno, NV. If the steaks are anything like that it had a great flavor!
Jim

Wow they sure are proud of those at 21$ a pound.

I have to ask, if you did not know they were bison could you tell the difference? Just curious about how the meat flavor is different.

And they look great.
Thanks,
John

Looks great, I have had ribeye's roasts and ground , I think it's as good as any beef I have had. also had a top round steak given to me that was great, the fat on that 1 was yellow and they man said it was from the corn it was fed.
Agree as it being as good as any beef I've had. I looked up the great range bison website after trying these and they have all their bison free range grass fed. They actually have quite an entertaining video on their site about their ranching process.
Perfectly cooked and a great looking plate. Had bison roast when I was in Reno, NV. If the steaks are anything like that it had a great flavor!
Jim
Thank you. It was fantastic tasting.
Wow they sure are proud of those at 21$ a pound.

I have to ask, if you did not know they were bison could you tell the difference? Just curious about how the meat flavor is different.

And they look great.
Thanks,
John
Thanks John. Yeah they were a bit expensive per lb but I wanted to do a special valentines dinner for the lady and I. I wouldn't necessarily say it was all to much different than beef. A bit sweeter. Not overly sweet so don't take that the wrong way. Not gamey at all. It tasted like high quality beef IMO.

Reactions: nicefly
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky