Bison burgers and Pepperoni poppers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chris_in_SoCal

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 18, 2012
SCV - So Cal
I haven't seen bison burger in my local stores for a while until last night. I had to get it. It costs about twice as much as beef but tastes way better. I made four patties with a cube of pepper jack inside. I also had a few jalapenos so I might as well make some poppers as well.

I tossed them in the smoker with hickory pellets - My goto pellets these days.

bb_001.jpg

All done and ready to plate up.

bb_002.jpg

Garnished with salted tomato, lettuce, home grown sprouts and chipotle mayo. I went with sourdough buns.

bb_003.jpg

Melted pepper jack in the center.

bb_004.jpg

Looks great burgers and poppers, I say yes to the plate.

Bison is here just once in a while. have not tried mainly because of the price. Want to though. next time they do a run on them . They normally only have as ground, steak of some kind. I guess the price of a roast no body would even look at around here .

David

Reactions: Chris_in_SoCal
Looks great burgers and poppers, I say yes to the plate.

Bison is here just once in a while. have not tried mainly because of the price. Want to though. next time they do a run on them . They normally only have as ground, steak of some kind. I guess the price of a roast no body would even look at around here .

David
I would suggest to try it at least once in your life. I did a few years ago and after having a bison ribeye steak I was convinced. I made an order from Canada for many bison ribeyes and Elk medallions. I have kept them in the freezer and take a pair out every few months to thaw and cook them.

They are almost gone but I will probably reorder them again.

It has been nice that I can get fresh bison burger meat locally. Costco use to have it regularly but quit a year ago. Walmart has them once in a while. It is definately worth the extra cost.

Sounds good, where do you order them from in Canada. Maybe price is better than when the local store brings them in

David
I found it. They are a little pricier than when I made my order. Northfork Bison is the place. I looked at their bison burger prices and they are double what I just paid at Walmart.

Dangit! thanks to DRKsmoking DRKsmoking and thirdeye thirdeye I was up late night shopping and made an order that my wife will not approve of. Northfork had 5Lb of ground elk on sale that I could not resist and got a couple other things that I had to have.

At least I will be able to make another good post or two here on my cooks.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
WOW!! Delicious looking burger. Those are just stunning. Very nice job...and it's nice to see somebody who knows the difference between bison and buffalo :emoji_wink:

Robert

Reactions: Chris_in_SoCal
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky