Birthday Ribs and PP

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mcokevin

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 18, 2016
Orlando FL
On Sunday my son turned 3 and my father-in-law turned 70. The weather was perfect and the holiday lined up nicely so we had a nice family birthday pool party - 12 people in total.

The previous weekend I made PP, which despite some hiccups turned out to be easily the best PP I have made. I smoked a 9.5lb shoulder and made PP, froze half for this weekend and half for some other time. So reheated that PP and made the finishing sauce on Sunday. There is a picture of that in the post I just linked if anyone is interested.

Sunday morning I put four racks of babybacks on. I did three BBQ with my preferred method (SMF Pork Rub, 5-6 hours straight unwrapped at 225) and one rack with a mojo seasoning for my mother-in-law. She has food allergy to some of the key spices in BBQ rubs, and I don't like anyone missing out on good food if I'm cooking. I ran all four racks at 225 on the Masterbuilt Gravity 1050. I spritzed every hour, BBQ ribs got apple juice, Mojo ribs got an orange and lime juice mix. My daughter, 4.5, came to the smoker every time it was time to spritz. She thinks getting a spritz of apple juice sprayed into her mouth is a lot of fun.

The ribs were also among the best I have ever made. I attribute it to getting comfortable with the 1050 and mostly to running with a hickory split in the charcoal hopper. Doing that rolls great consistent TBS all day. The mojo ribs I made for my MIL were also really good. I made a chimi-churi sauce to serve on those. They were so good I'd make them again in place of BBQ if my wife or I ever want to change it up.

I spent most of the party cooking which was somewhat of a bummer, but that is what I signed up for by smoking the day of. The good news is we had a lot of leftovers, so yesterday I didn't do a damned thing other than drink beer in the pool.

I didn't get too many pictures of the ribs as I was hosting a party and enjoying the beer, but did get this picture of two of the four racks cut up for serving.

IMG_0743.jpeg

One of the BBQ racks was a bit stubborn, got a picture of it before coming off
IMG_0751.jpeg

Good looking ribs! I 'd take a bone or two right now.
Jim
Thanks - sorry to say there are none left! Dinner for 12 Sunday, and for 8 yesterday with the leftovers.

Happy birthday to your son and father in law, looks like ya had some good eats
Thanks very much - we did indeed. My wife made an excellent broccoli salad and my mom made her potato salad which is to die for. Stepping on the scale this morning wasn't a great experience.

Excellent!
Love the color of those ribs!
Al
Thanks Al, I have gotten some of the best smoke penetration since I started running the split in the charcoal hopper. Definitely the way I will be doing it from now on. Don't have enough real estate in the yard for a big wood pile and a stick burner, so this will have to suffice until I do have the space!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky