Birthday Grilled Pizza's w pics

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hey John pizzas look awesome. I’m actually at my pizzeria right now, I’ve got a couple tips.

If the bottom of the pizza crusts are getting too dark before the the top cooks try starting them on a pizza screen. Then just finishing them on the stone. They’re super cheap, just a couple dollars each and come in a ton of sizes. Also helps keep the shapes and sizes more uniform if you’re interested.

The cheese. In my opinion is the most important part. If you are going to use shredded mozz you 100% have to use Whole Milk Mozzarella. The part skim will get dark and turn into plastic. It’s available most places. My local Walmart even offers it shredded now too. I run my oven at 600 F

View attachment 429508View attachment 429501
You’ve all been awesome answering my BBQ questions. If you have any pizza question let me know, I’d be glad to help!View attachment 429518

Baxters thank you for the input and tips. It is extremely helpful! As far as the screens go would I start the pizza on the screen on top of the stone and then after a few just slide it onto the stone? I didn't even think about the skim mozzarella I will look for the whole milk next time! Your pizza looks awesome! How long have you been slinging pies?

John, my friend. You have me sitting here in my chair just a shaking my head. I think this is the first thread of yours that didn't have the complimentary beer shot. What makes it even more surprising is that you made all those great looking pizzas and to top it off it was your Birthday!!! I'll have to let this one pass. Probably just the early stages of senility. :emoji_astonished::emoji_laughing:

Great job on those pizzas. I especially like the pepper pizza.

Point for sure
Chris

Damnit Chris you know you are right! I didn't even notice. I can promise you I had plenty of cold ones in the process! After all pizza and beer just go together! The senile in me might just be kicking in!

Reactions: gmc2003
SmokinVOLfan SmokinVOLfan

I posted this a while ago. Was easy to do and will save you from investing a fortune in a pizza oven.

Also, my pizzas came out perfectly!

If you have any questions feel free to PM me. . .Oh Yea, And Happy Birthday!

I hope this helps,

John BandCollector BandCollector

Hey John thanks for the info! I actually saw your thread awhile back but don't have any steel plates lying around. If you don't mind me asking where did you get them? Might need to look at getting some as pretty much its the exact same thing that they try to charge you a fortune for.

LMAO! Nice observation Chris! I went back to look at his pictures and I’m shocked there’s not a beer in sight.

Maybe it’s in his hand where it belongs instead of on a counter....but maybe we should do a wellness check just to be sure. A beerless post is definitely not John.

Lol cant get anything by gmc2003 gmc2003 ! You assessment is right...the beers were in my hand most of the time. I made a flour mess in the kitchen so guess I was trying to avoid flour rings all over the place when I sat it back down. Did pop one of these to change it up a little on my birthday. Damn thing was 9% alcohol! Not bad

pizza12.jpg

Hey John thanks for the info! I actually saw your thread awhile back but don't have any steel plates lying around. If you don't mind me asking where did you get them? Might need to look at getting some as pretty much its the exact same thing that they try to charge you a fortune for.

You can actually use one of your stones on the bottom to put the pizzas on and the other one on top of the fire bricks to create the cooking chamber. That should work fine.

I tend to refrain from advertising companies that are not sponsors so if you would like the address I can send it to you via a Private Message or an email.

John

Last edited:
Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
You are starting down a long road to “perfection”

first will be the crust, then that will get pretty damn close
Then you the sauce, that will get close enough
Then quality of toppings etc.

it’s a sickness just like smoking meat!

pizza looks great, happy birthday

Appreciate it man! Yeah I kind of got the feeling it was going to be a long road lol. Gonna be a lot of trial and error. How do you do yours outdoors?

Maybe it’s in his hand where it belongs instead of on a counter....but maybe we should do a wellness check just to be sure. A beerless post is definitely not John.

Wellness check is a good start, but I think a forum wide intervention is in order.

Chris

Baxters thank you for the input and tips. It is extremely helpful! As far as the screens go would I start the pizza on the screen on top of the stone and then after a few just slide it onto the stone? I didn't even think about the skim mozzarella I will look for the whole milk next time! Your pizza looks awesome! How long have you been slinging pies?

First off I want to apologize. I forgot to wish you a Happy Belated Birthday!
Yeah, start it on the screen on top of the stone. Then just slide it directly onto the stone to finish it off. The radiant heat from the stone will still cook it on the screen, but that little 1/16” of separation will slow it down enough for the rest of the pizza to cook.
I started making pizzas about 12 years ago. Finally opened my own spot 2018.

Whenever you cook high temp either on a grill, wood fired oven, or even on charcoal you just have to adjust the cheese and dough slightly.

Most dough balls you buy at the store have tons of sugar for “flavor” and are meant for normal home ovens. Here’s my high-temp dough recipe. I use it for my wood fired or coal ovens, and grilling.

2.5g yeast
1100ml water
1850g high gluten or bread flour
50g salt
30g olive oil

Mix it all together. Cover. Let rest for an hour or so. Knead it. Portion them, and form dough balls. Refrigerate them over night, up to 2 days or freeze.

Pizza is so versatile though, there’s really no wrong way to do it. I’m looking forward to seeing your next batch!

Appreciate it man! Yeah I kind of got the feeling it was going to be a long road lol. Gonna be a lot of trial and error. How do you do yours outdoors?
3F236EE7-2472-493C-B7B9-1612160517C3.jpeg

I used my gasser with stones for a long time, after having several ending up in more than one piece due to cooling them down to fast I went on a search for something different.
What I found was the little fella pictured above, it’s a 17” cast iron griddle. That thing is awesome!

I have since sent the gasser to the scrap yard and will be starting my quest over on the Weber kettle.

whole milk mozzarella is the only thing I use anymore, good quality pepperoni will save you a ton of grease on your pizza. Resting your dough in the fridge for a few days will make all the difference in the world
02A1D27F-16B2-4AB7-B95D-C00F2A5A7DD1.jpeg
B55DB8E4-5FAB-4BBC-897C-2D41FB15ED0D.jpeg

JJS the bottom of that crust looks absolutely amazing. How do you like the cast iron? Ever try a steel?

JJS the bottom of that crust looks absolutely amazing. How do you like the cast iron? Ever try a steel?

Thank you, the family suffered through many ugly pizzas to get it to that point lol. I love the cast iron, I haven’t tried steel yet, it’s in my future I am sure of that.

Check out the Baking steel. Works fantastic - home oven no grill needed (sacrilege I know).
alternately try doing a two zone grill on the grates for a second and flip the dough and top the grilled side. That will work better than hoping for the dome of a grill to get hot.

I love pizza. They look very tasty, nice work and happy birthday.

we went through a learning curve and still learning, was good fun. Wife ended up in tears once when I couldn’t get the beautiful pizzas she made off the peel, stuck like glue and we had guests. :emoji_disappointed_relieved:

Can’t remember last time we bought a pizza, I think here it is $28 for one delivered, we can make 4 homemade for about $10 .

Did them on my gasser for years, I found just running some kind of lid over the stone gives a perfect equilibrium cook, top and bottom close to same heat.

C92ED436-B208-4FA2-A535-72B0813DC993.jpeg

Wow John...looks like a great birthday meal. So much color, vibrancy, and variety it's hard not to love this post!! Add to that some great info gleaned from others, I am now ready to tackle pizzas again. They have been my nemesis for years and I'd pretty much give up on them. I do think I'm going to fabricate some sort of a steel dome to put over top of the pizza stones though for more even cooking.

Armed for pizza battle with new info,
Robert

First off I want to apologize. I forgot to wish you a Happy Belated Birthday!
Yeah, start it on the screen on top of the stone. Then just slide it directly onto the stone to finish it off. The radiant heat from the stone will still cook it on the screen, but that little 1/16” of separation will slow it down enough for the rest of the pizza to cook.
I started making pizzas about 12 years ago. Finally opened my own spot 2018.

Whenever you cook high temp either on a grill, wood fired oven, or even on charcoal you just have to adjust the cheese and dough slightly.

Most dough balls you buy at the store have tons of sugar for “flavor” and are meant for normal home ovens. Here’s my high-temp dough recipe. I use it for my wood fired or coal ovens, and grilling.

2.5g yeast
1100ml water
1850g high gluten or bread flour
50g salt
30g olive oil

Mix it all together. Cover. Let rest for an hour or so. Knead it. Portion them, and form dough balls. Refrigerate them over night, up to 2 days or freeze.

Pizza is so versatile though, there’s really no wrong way to do it. I’m looking forward to seeing your next batch!

Baxters thank you for the birthday wishes and the dough recipe. The info you have provided has been very helpful and I appreciate it. Going to look into some screens today. Congrats on opening your pizza joint. Looks like you got some good stuff going on from that picture!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky