Birthday Dinner: Loaded Chili Smothered Baked Potato (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Note: I put this in the Beef sub-forum because the chili is made with beef.

One of the wretched days we had last week I made a batch of chili last minute on a whim. I typically like to make it early in the day and let is simmer for hours. That didn't happen this time but I still hoped I could put together a decent batch in a hurry. It came out really well and we managed to eat almost all of it. Not enough left for a meal again but enough to smother a couple baked taters. That is what I decided I wanted for my birthday dinner last night.

Chili heating up
002_Fotogenic.jpg

Cut up some jalapenos and onions
003_Fotogenic.jpg

Taters cooked. i like to cut up the "meat" of the tater and load it full of butter
004_Fotogenic.jpg

Ladle on a generous serving of chili and add a pile of aged extra sharp cheddar
005_Fotogenic.jpg

Jalapenos, onions, and a good dollop of sour cream. I'm ready to eat
006_Fotogenic.jpg

Tracy started a new job yesterday and had to go into the office for all the HR stuff and her orientation. She was expecting to see a big ol' steak or two defrosted for dinner and was amazed to see that I had things set up for this. She was also happy about it. The night I made the chili she mentioned doing the taters and it just hit me like a good idea. These were really good and the chili had gotten much better sitting in the fridge for a couple days. Not that it was bad in any way the night I made it, but it just got better, more balanced, and rounded out with the flavors melding....much like pasta sauce I guess. I was happy with this and it really hit the spot.

Well folks this one was simple, basic, short, and to-the-point. It's a wrap :emoji_blush: Y'all take care an stay the course of safety.

Robert

Loaded baked potatoes are a super hearty meal! Yours look fantastic Robert !! This just screams "snow day meal" to me!
In the small town I work in some folks opened up a baked potato truck. They have it all!! From chilli cheese, buffalo chicken to lobster bisque baked potatoes... They sell out within 2 hrs every day... And the line gets longer and longer.
Ive had their chilli cheese.....but I think I'd rather have yours😉! Nice work man!

That's some real comfort food, a tater gone wild! Nice to get something you like for a birthday dinner Robert, I'd be all over that! RAY

Looks wonderful! Just might have to do that soon! I seem to have this thing with taters...and why not a really thick gravy full of meat and beans lol!

Ryan

That's a great looking meal Robert! I don't need a special occasion to enjoy a loaded tater like that.

Happy Birthday!!

That looks like a fine use of some chili to me Robert!! Loaded taters are classic.

Thanks Jeff. That chili was too good to chance going bad so this seemed a good way to use it up...and it was good!!

Loaded baked potatoes are a super hearty meal! Yours look fantastic Robert !! This just screams "snow day meal" to me!

Thank you Travis. We do a lot of variations of loaded taters. The options are limitless. Weather was cool but no snow thank God :emoji_wink: They do tend to be warm and comforting though.

That's some real comfort food, a tater gone wild! Nice to get something you like for a birthday dinner Robert, I'd be all over that! RAY

Very much appreciate it. Tracy was blown away when she got home and saw what I had planned for dinner. We loved these though.

Robert

I'm good but could do without the taters.

I can understand that Warren but we like our taters. At some point we will need to make a change though. My diet is invariably going to catch up with me at some point. Not a thing in the world wrong with just a good bowl of chili though :emoji_wink:

Looks great Robert for any meal , Birthday or not . You know me add potatoes and I'm there

Loaded with great toppings

Yes sir David. There are a few of us that kinda have this thing for taters....especially when smothered with gravy of some sort.

Looks wonderful! Just might have to do that soon! I seem to have this thing with taters...and why not a really thick gravy full of meat and beans lol!

Thanks Ryan but you missed the mark a bit my friend. That's with the beans. If it's chili, no beans. If it has beans it's not chili, it's....something other than chili :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Now that's like a fine looking chow right there !
And Happy Birthday Robert!

Thanks so much Keith. I appreciate it, and although very simple, it was very good and truly gratifying.

That's a great looking meal Robert! I don't need a special occasion to enjoy a loaded tater like that.

Happy Birthday!!

Thank you my friend!! We don't need a special occasion for a loaded tater either, that was just my dinner of choice :emoji_wink:

Robert

Great birthday meal! I love loaded potatoes, that looks like a special comfort meal for sure. Great job!

Looks good Robert, never had a spud like that but next time we have Chile may have to give that a shot.

Robert all this time I've known you and I didn't realize we were born so close together...mine is Sunday the 13th.

And I could just kill a chili cheese baked tater for the game. I keep dreaming about Cincinnati chili for the big day and could do this as a third meal. :emoji_laughing:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky