Biggest Brisket for me yet, Burnt End Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
More Smoke...IF you like Heavy smoke...You want the exposted surfaces to get smokey as well, other wise forget the smoke and do them in a 325*F oven, they will get done real quick...JJ

All of those sound and look great!!!

I have done dozens of butts and hundreds of ribs, but I have never done a brisket.
icon_redface.gif

I plan on moving into the ranks of a well rounded smoker.  I've heard all of the discussions about separating the point from the flat.  Could someone post a picture or diagram pointing these out. I would really appreciate it.  I really can't wait to give this a try.

Thanks

Did you want to separate before or after the smoke? After it almost just falls off, just find the fat line that connects them and you can practically separate with a butter knife. Before the smoke when it's still raw is a little trickier but still not hard. Try searching the forum for separating point from flat, I know I've seen some detailed posts about it but don't remember exactly where but should be easy to find. 

I'm taking notes.  Some good ideas here.

Same here....Put a little Smoke Wagon sauce, extra rub and back in they go all cubed up....Now for a walk on the wild side throw into pan after cubed mix with some crushed red pepper flakes and some honey, and crushed garlic.. I like em hot myself but not the family

You can also used these burnt tips (flavor hogs) and mix them into your baked beans.  Gives the beans a nice smokey flavor.

Being From Kansas City, I love burnt ends and that's exactly how they should look.  Yum. Just got my new MES and my plan is to smoke a brisket this weekend.

Dong a brisket this weekend, can I cut the flat and chunk whatever is left of the point and finish them the next day? It will get too late to finish them Saturday. I "have" to do ribs Sunday anyhow.

Would cooking the point all the way to when the flat is done possibly make it to "done" to cube well?  Meaning it is falling apart as you try to cube it up.  Would it be better to split them @ 170* mark when you foil them?  Then put the flat in foiled to finish.  While that is happening cube up the point, season to taste and put that back in with the flat to finish as well?

That is how I usually do Pork butts now.  they come in packers with 2 butts and I will foil one at midpoint and cube the other for burn ends.  Just wonder if that would work for brisket as well.

I usually take the temperature in the flat, take everything off at 190-195. Foil and rest for an hour or so, separate the point, cube it, add sauce in a foil pan and back in the smoker for 2 to 3 hours. Re-foil the flat Works well for me.

Reactions: magnus
Did my 1st big brisket cook lastnight. 

I did not inject, just put a rub on it after trimming.

Started @ midnight 180* for 5hrs

225* for 4 more hours, reached 160*

pulled out and put in a big pan with 2 cups of beef broth and then foiled over.

Back in @ 250 until 205* internal.

pulled out of pan, separated point, foiled the flat and into cooler to rest for 4hrs (till dinner)

The point I cubed up for burnt ends, added rub, some sweet baby rays, then back into 250* smoker to 1.5hrs.  stirred every 30min.  Turned out AWESOME!

The Flat however was pretty tender but DRY.  very dry.  big smoke ring, rub was overpowering, but meat had good flavor otherwise.  Was actually so dry was not enjoyable to eat, and almost not cutable with a fork.

Should I have left it in the pan to rest rather than pulling out and foiling?

Should I have pulled it out @ 190 or 195?  I did not notice much change in the toothpick tenderness test from 195-205.

Can anything be done to get it more edible?

I don't do much with the rub, a basic salt and pepper and something else I can't remember. You may want to wait to trim the fat off until after the cook and see if the helps. I don't use a pan other than to catch the juices on the lower rack. Foil while resting. This works for me, your mileage may very.

Should I have left it in the pan to rest rather than pulling out and foiling?

Should I have pulled it out @ 190 or 195?  I did not notice much change in the toothpick tenderness test from 195-205.

Can anything be done to get it more edible?
It's possible you over-trimmed your cut before you put it on. Also, I like to directly wrap the briskets and not put them in a pan. It's possible you steamed out all of the moisture because your foil didn't have a good seal on the pan.

Next go around I would modify the approach.  Since no mention of size, my response is based upon a 11.5-12.0 Lb brisket.

-Minimally trim the really heavy, thick fat.  Leave most of it.  Fat is flavor.

-Rub it up with what you like but get it covered. No injection or oil.

-Smoke at 225-250º  FAT SIDE UP and start checking after 4 hours, looking for dark mahogany color < once reached you should be around 155-165º.

-Pull, wrap tight with 3 layers of foil and put back into the smoker

-Start checking for doneness in 2 hours, you are looking to pull once a thermometer probe goes into the thickest part of the FLAT like a knife into butter

-Pull somewhere around 198-203º open and let the steam out 15-20min, if there is a lot of juice, suck out 1/2 to 3/4 of it with a baster bulb and save. Then rewrap loosely and rest 2 hours.

-Remember to keep it above 145 for safety.

Reactions: ozsmoker

Next go around I would modify the approach.  Since no mention of size, my response is based upon a 11.5-12.0 Lb brisket.

-Minimally trim the really heavy, thick fat.  Leave most of it.  Fat is flavor.

-Rub it up with what you like but get it covered. No injection or oil.

-Smoke at 225-250º  FAT SIDE UP and start checking after 4 hours, looking for dark mahogany color < once reached you should be around 155-165º.

-Pull, wrap tight with 3 layers of foil and put back into the smoker

-Start checking for doneness in 2 hours, you are looking to pull once a thermometer probe goes into the thickest part of the FLAT like a knife into butter

-Pull somewhere around 198-203º open and let the steam out 15-20min, if there is a lot of juice, suck out 1/2 to 3/4 of it with a baster bulb and save. Then rewrap loosely and rest 2 hours.

-Remember to keep it above 145 for safety.
great advice

any tips on making checking for doneness easier? i assume we have to unwrap from foil anywhere between 190-205 and check... then re-wrap?

i feel like electric smokers dry out the meat a lot more, so leaving more of the fat on should help keep the brisket moist.... i've read some people do zero trimming and get great results

I personally do not unwrap, I use my Thermapen and just go in from the top (not the side as juices will come out).  It's more about the feel than temp, it needs to go in without resistance to be done. Most say, it's done when its done (ie regardless of it being 190º or 208º, every piece of meat can be different). Of course probing with the pen does give you the reading. 
biggrin.gif

Certainly leave the fat.  Fat is flavor. It can always be removed when carving.  I do however, remove the very hard portions then score the rest with a cross cut.  

Does your smoker have room for a tin pan filled with water?

...Matt

Last edited:
I must have been wrong all along,   I have always considered the burnt ends to be a part of smoking a whole brisket, never cut anything off and cooked it any more or different

you know that little "flap" you get when you carve out that big thick chunk of hard fat in a brisket before cooking?  that part is what I always considered the "burnt ends" when the brisket is done smoking,  along with the very tip of the flat that ends up a bit harder

When slicing the end product, I usually keep a bowl to the side and toss those parts in the bowl as I slice then depending on who I am serving too I may or may not share 
biggrin.gif

have I been wrong this whole time?

Not wrong, you are 100% correct. Burnt ends are the delicacy of a brisket because there is *truly* only a small amount of them on a whole packer cut.

Cubing up the point is a way to manufacture a lot of them without having to cook a lot of briskets. Supply meeting demand.

The only way to get true burnt ends is from the "flap" thay you referred to in your post. Anything other than this shouldn't be called a burnt end.

Reactions: bigred77
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky