Big poppa vs udsparts.com smoker kits

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Cdnmaplesmoke

Original poster
Mar 23, 2020
Hey guys and gals. I bought a drum last fall and summer is coming so i figure it’s about time to do something with it. (If I can even get a kit across the border right now)
These kits both have their own benefits in my opinion. The udsparts.com kit (https://udsparts.com/kits/diy-uds-complete-parts-kit-for-55-gallon-ugly-drum-smoker.html)has a great looking charcoal basket and comes with a grate lifter which are both excellent selling features that I’m drawn towards. But with the big poppa I love the thought of the easy to set/use slider intakes and ability to raise and lower the charcoal basket for grilling and smoking. I do not have a bbq so the multi purpose grill smoker makes it very desirable. I have only used a indirect stick burner up until now and any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Not sure what I should do, I wanted a kit but now I’m unsure if there’s one out there that’s offering what I want. I’m sorry if there’s a post on this topic already.

I have the Big Poppa and really like it , no complaints. I guess it is 4 or 5 years old and is still in great shape. I keep it in my shop so it has not been exposed to weather, only when in use. I plan on finding a stainless steel drum to up grade. I don't think you would be disappointed. I can't comment on the other one. Good luck

Give Hunsaker a look. Their equipment is well made and heavy duty. The charcoal basket might even be a little too heavy if you have any issues lifting things

Take a glance at the kit the guys at Smoker Builder offer. I don't have one of their uds kits yet, but I've talked with Frank and Tom and boughten one of their GF kits in the past and they're genuine good dudes who love bbq.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky