Big Green Egg

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

t-bone tim

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 24, 2007
N.B. Canada
Hello out there !! anyone here have the big green egg ? just wonderin is all ....A local dealer here just started sellin them ,want's $1099.00 Can ....just wonderin what any owners here paid ?? thanks Tim.
confused.gif

Who is the dealer? The egg is supposed to be super efficient as regards to heat. You require very little fuel. Only problem is their capacity is comparatively small.

My neighbor has a big green egg. It's great for cooking for 1 or 3 people, the cooking surface is pretty small. He bought his on ebay for around $350 new.

T-Bone since your price is Can. I'm not sure how this compares, plus you don't mention what size Egg the price is for. I just checked prices last week at Egg dealer close to here, supposed to be one of the top dealers, and the XL BGE was $1069 and the Large was $699.

The BGE is not necessarily small. It just depends on the size you have as there are 5 or 6 sizes. The XL is a 24" diameter cooking grate, so you're looking at 4-6 pork butts, a couple good sized briskets, chuck rolls, and a pretty good capacity.

I recall seeing a couple BGE'ers on the forum a while ago. Those prices Ultramag mentioned are about what I have seen here in MD. I would like to try the XL Egg out once or twice.

Low & Slow ........ did your neighbor have to pay for shipping on that Ebay purchase or was he able to pick it up? My luck would be the bargain $350 Egg would turn into a $700 egg with shipping cost!

T-bone ......... are you thinking about making a purchase?

Super nice and efficent. Bring lots of $$ though. With what you might spend on the GBE, you can supply yourself with one heck of alot of ribs and pork butts.
icon_mrgreen.gif

There are a few BGE Users here someplace. Reports are that they work great and smoke in less time - very expensive and heavy.

There are a few people on a Yahoo forum I go to that love them but they say the little one is only big enough for one good sized pice of meat and maybe a fatty or two.

t-bone wildcat here, i aid a grand for my xl bge and im real happy with it. its true that it uses very little fuel, for ex. i have a 14 pound brisket on mine right now that has been smoking for about 5 hours with approx 5 more to go and i wont have to add any charcoal at all. my unit came with about two hundred dollaors worth of excessories, one that is usless on the xl model is a stand for turkeys, that stands to tall to close the lid. make your own table for it as the shelfs that they sell are a little to small'. for searing steaks the thing is out of this world. 700-800 degress makes them just perfect.

Hey Randy...no ,was reading the paper and seen an ad with a local heating supply store selling them in my area...had seen them online and talked about here...wanted to see one and was surprised at the price
PDT_Armataz_01_23.gif

I have a large BGE in a custom table. The table was on special, and I got the combo for a little over $700.00. They are a very versatile cooker, and you won't have any rust issues. They are heavy if you have to move them around, and a lot of moving increases breakage concerns.

I don't own either so my opinion is probably not worth alot, however I would say BGE hands down. Very versatile and super efficient. I've never seen a BGE in action or eaten the results, but I have cooked on and ate from a Traeger.

A buddy of mine has a knock off of a BGE and swears by it and uses it often. The left overs that he brings in seem to tase good for being the next day old and cold.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky