Big Cooker Showdown: Rec Tec vs BGE Doing Massive Dino Ribs(Heavy Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Since John ( chilerelleno chilerelleno ) posted his "Behemoth Beef Ribs" I've been on a quest to find them. It was an exhaustive search but finally found a source for them. I ordered a case of bone-in chuck short ribs and crossed my fingers that they were as awesome as the ones he posted. The ribs and the new Rec Tec were delivered Thursday. Total weight of the ribs was 50.56# and there were 48 ribs in the case. That means each rib averaged just over 1# in weight. I got the grill put together on Friday, set up on the patio, and did the burn in run so it'd be ready for yesterday. There were three friends / SMF members coming for dinner. They were:

@Matt_Tex
snakehead snakehead
@TXRick

Matt has a BGE also and we thought it may be fun to do two different flavor profiles on two different cookers. Since he's familiar with the BGE he chose that as his weapon of choice and I was gonna use the Rec Tec for it's inaugural run. He had the edge because he was already familiar with the Egg but I've always loved the challenge of trying a new cooker that I'd never used before and hoping to turn out some decent food. Please note that this is a competition between grills, not between Matt and I. Matt came down about 9:00 yesterday morning to get his ribs prepped. Mine were already done so I got the Egg fired up while he was working on his ribs and I lit up the Rec Tec. Both went on at 9:30 running 225*. The anticipation was to have dinner ready by 4:00 because Gerald had a function downtown at 6:00 he wanted to be at, which I think was part of the ACL show. Well....with no further adieu, here we go:

Here are the ribs:
001.jpg

002.jpg

Mine seasoned with a new rub I put together Thursday afternoon but had never used before. turned out great!!
003.jpg

Matt's seasoned with a horseradish based Dijon mustard, garlic, salt, and pepper
004.jpg

Mine on the Rec Tec. See? Never been used before :-)
005.jpg

Matt's on the Egg
006.jpg

Both of them chugging along side by side
007.jpg

3 hours in. Mine first
009.jpg

Matt's
010.jpg

Everything cooks faster on a BEG than any other cooker, even at the same temp. It must be from the radiant, convection style of heating generated by the design. His finished up well before mine did. They got wrapped and went into the cooler
012.jpg

Mine about done. These are looking great!!
014.jpg

Gerald made some amazing Hatch green chili Mac & Cheese. It's on to warm up
017.jpg

Got out some veggies that have been in the brine for a while and tasting fantastic!! From left to right is spicy cauliflower, jalapenos, cucumber spears, red onions, and spicy garlic
016.jpg

Mine all done and in the house. To put the size of these into perspective, those are not small digits at the end of my arm. Those are XXXL hands
018.jpg

Both side by side
019.jpg

Close-ups. Mine then Matt's.
020.jpg

021.jpg

Mine sliced. Super juicy, succulent, and a gorgeous smoke ring!!
022.jpg

Here is a top view just to give you a better idea of the enormity of these things
031.jpg

The others sliced
028.jpg

Mac & cheese all done. This was THE BEST I've ever had without a doubt!!
023.jpg

Have monster rib, will travel
027.jpg

Dinner all laid out
030.jpg

Money shot of course. My dinner plate. I noticed that everybody was scared of that largest rib. Since I was last in line, I got stuck with it....oh well, the tragedies we must endure :-)
032.jpg

Now to dessert. I was gonna make pecan pie per Foamheart but just got the bourbon peach cobbler into my head and could not get rid of it. This recipe is posted in the Desserts forum.

Peaches and bourbon all mixed up and into the cast iron skillet on the grill with a quarter pound of butter
013.jpg

Peach mixture heated so add the dough
015.jpg

Done and ready to serve
033.jpg

Dessert is served with some top shelf vanilla ice cream
034.jpg

Well folks, this turned into another epic meal. It was absolutely spectacular. Both ribs were nothing short of incredible. The best any of us have ever had but at the end f the day, the Rec Tec won out by a small margin. Folks liked the light charcoal flavor of the Egg but the RT 700 had a deeper, richer smoke flavor and that gorgeous smoke ring that you just can't overlook when eating BBQ. In all fairness to the Egg though, the ribs were not cooking as long as they were on the Rec Tec so they had less time to develop the smokiness. Overall, I think the Rec Tec is a good grill but there were a couple crucial aspects that I was extremely disappointed with. I can make adjustments and overcome those and turn out some great food but with a grill of that caliber I just don't feel that I should have to make those adjustments. I'll call tech support and see if there is a way to re-program the controller to dial it in better but outside of that, I can still adjust. All the documentation states that the controller is "precision calibrated at the factory". Well, if that's their perception of "precision", I'm sure glad they aren't making airplanes :emoji_anguished: I know that I'm still gonna love the grill and yesterday was a great learning experience breaking it in. As with all meals served here, everybody was in a total food coma after finishing dinner. The only problem is that now Matt hates me because of the cobbler. I told him before I put it on that was gonna happen, and I was right. Now he wants it every day and it's gonna wreak havoc on his waistline :emoji_laughing: Oh well...this has gone long enough. I gotta run. Tracy is on the road coming home from Wichita and I have a few chores I need to wrap up....like scrubbing a CI skillet that a certain cobbler was cooked in :emoji_wink:

Thanks for dropping in and sorry to have taken up so much of your time. Y'all have a great day!!

Still comatose,
Robert

Last edited:
Those are some fine looking ribs Robert, both of you did well.

Point for sure
Chris

Yes Sir!
Yes'siree, you knocked a Grand Slam and brought it all home.
Those Rec Tec ribs are looking incredible and it's my turn to drool at the keyboard.
And I desire the Green Chile Mac-n-Cheese recipe if at all possible.
That looks really good.
Please?

Like!

I hear ya man,
you spend good money on something that is supposed to be of a high quality build and there's issues.
That's just not right.
I hope they take care of the problems.

Those are some fine looking ribs Robert, both of you did well.

Point for sure
Chris

Thank you Chris. This was a fun cook. A meat I'd never cooked before, on a cooker I'd never used before, and a rub I made up that I'd never tried before. there were some specific challenges but it all came out really well.

Appreciate the LIKE!!
Robert

Mighty fine feast there!

Thank you Steve!! Another reason for you to bring your happy a$$ to TX. I could see you sitting out on the patio with a beer in one hand and gnawing on one of those monster ribs in the other hand

Now there's a visual...
Robert

Reactions: Steve H
Nice job and good write up!

LIKE!

Thank you John!! I have a tendency to do pretty long posts to cover most of the bases so folks don't feel inclined to ask the questions because I've already covered the answers. It just takes a lot of bandwidth when I post something like this :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Nicely done. Those are some abnormally large finger bones for sure! Not much shrinkage either.

They were certainly large and exceeded my expectations. Couldn't have been happier. That's nice due to having to order in bulk. I'd hate to think I got $350 worth of ribs that fell short :emoji_anguished:

Whew!!
Robert

What a feed, great piece of work. I gave the edge to the RecTec ribs for that beautiful smoke ring. LIKE RAY

Very much appreciate it Ray. I always look forward to Sunday morning so I can vegetate at the keyboard with my coffee and try to get over the food induced comma from the night before :emoji_wink:

Still in a fog though,
Robert

Yes Sir!
Those Rec Tec ribs are looking incredible and it's my turn to drool at the keyboard.

Thank you John!! Don't know how they would stack up to yours but I was happy, as was everybody else. As stated earlier, this was a fun meal to do. Looking forward to the next one!!

That looks really good.
Please?

I had nothing to do with the mac and cheese except to eat it and love it. Gerald made that. He's from NM and has some really creative stuff he does with the Hatch green chilies. He just moved into a new house and is in the midst of unpacking but I sent him a text asking him to drop in and answer your question. He needed a break and said he'd be here shortly for a response. Be on the lookout pretty soon. I promise you won't be disappointed that stuff was incredible.

I hear ya man,
you spend good money on something that is supposed to be of a high quality build and there's issues.
That's just not right.
I hope they take care of the problems.

I already fixed one of the problems. Didn't have a choice. About an hour and a half into the cook I realized that there was more smoke coming out from around the door than coming out of the chimney. I had to shut the grill down and go to the garage to get a roll of the high temp felt gasket material I keep on hand and had to seal the door. The top of the grill on the outside was turning brown from the smoke escaping. On a more positive note though, Rec Tec is world renowned for their customer service. I have the faith that if there is anything that can be done, they will take care of it. If not, i adjust and keep going. Overall I feel the grill is of outstanding quality but a couple glitches that need to be addressed.

Not gonna give up on it,
Robert

Yes Sir!
That looks really good.
Please?

It took me a few minutes to get it out of my head and on (digital) paper so to speak, but I went ahead and posted my recipe on my food / recipe blog site for you. https://geraldskitchen.com/recipes/smoked-mac-cheese-with-bacon-and-green-chile/

I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

It took me a few minutes to get it out of my head and on (digital) paper so to speak, but I went ahead and posted my recipe on my food / recipe blog site for you.

Thank you Gerald!! Very much appreciate it. I know I'll be stealing it :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Reactions: snakehead
Reactions: snakehead
..... Overall, I think the Rec Tec is a good grill but there were a couple crucial aspects that I was extremely disappointed with. I can make adjustments and overcome those and turn out some great food but with a grill of that caliber I just don't feel that I should have to make those adjustments. I'll call tech support and see if there is a way to re-program the controller to dial it in better but outside of that, I can still adjust. All the documentation states that the controller is "precision calibrated at the factory". Well, if that's their perception of "precision", I'm sure glad they aren't making airplanes :emoji_anguished: ...

What "adjustments" did you have to make?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky