big chief

Discussion in 'Pork' started by johnson1, Jun 10, 2014.

1. johnson1

johnson1 Newbie

I was wandering if anybody has ever smoked a pork loin in a electric big chief smoker,i have never attempted this before,just wandering how long,theres no temperature gauge on my smoker,is the internal temp the most important

2. hillbillyrkstr

hillbillyrkstr Master of the Pit Group Lead

Yup it's all about internal temp.

Of course it's nice to know how hot your actually smoking at but most important is your internal meat temp so you don't under cook and get sick

3. johnson1

johnson1 Newbie

thanks,ill keep a eye on it,i guess I could always finish it off in the oven

4. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I would recommend doing a pork tenderloin or if you already have the loin cut it in half or into chops. The chief smokers run around 180*. You really need to get from 40-140 IT IN 4 hours or less. That might be a challenge in a chief. I miss my big chief as they really shine when doing fish and jerky.

5. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Good idea..... smoke for an hour or two then throw it in a preheated oven to finish..... nothing wrong with doing it that way.... You don't really need a smoker to be an oven, when you already have one in the kitchen..... My 2 cents... Dave

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014