Big chicken Smoke for a good cause

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SCBBQ

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Apr 2, 2021
Inspired by another thread on here, I’m preparing to do a charity dinner in 2 weeks to raise money for a local church based kitchen that feeds people in need.

For the main course, I’ll be smoking chicken in my cookshack smoker .

I did a test run last night with half chickens , looks like I can get 8 per rack . 15 racks so 120 half chickens per load . I’ll do 2 loads during the day so 240 total dinners.

Attachments

• EA50BD95-F8C3-4D61-BAB0-BF64C1E1BF05.jpeg
    EA50BD95-F8C3-4D61-BAB0-BF64C1E1BF05.jpeg
    269.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 0840A51E-E233-4297-9F46-EA4E2C66A477.jpeg
    0840A51E-E233-4297-9F46-EA4E2C66A477.jpeg
    274.1 KB · Views: 58
I brined the chickens and it really appeared to extend the smoke time to get the right skin texture I’m used to . At 225 I typically smoke 2 hours and re-dip in sauce and go another 2 - with these brined , the time after the re-dip was extended 1.5 additional hours . So 5.5 hours smoke time . This will be even more when I have the load time for the big batch.

Reactions: Wurstmeister

Mine is built in so has a nice finished look.

6F0D22C1-FCFD-423B-8454-2051F579BF26.jpeg
57E07033-8760-4B21-9CF6-EB82D43A5A56.jpeg

Looks very good. Love the color. Good idea on doing a test run. That would give me an excuse to "test" the chicken while I work. Did the brine make the meat too moist and needed the additional 1.5hrs to reach safe IT or was it the sauce? 🍻

John

I didn’t measure temp but intuitively it was just skin/sauce . I might adjust the smoker temp from 225 to 240 or so ..

Inspired by another thread on here, I’m preparing to do a charity dinner in 2 weeks to raise money for a local church based kitchen that feeds people in need.

For the main course, I’ll be smoking chicken in my cookshack smoker .

I did a test run last night with half chickens , looks like I can get 8 per rack . 15 racks so 120 half chickens per load . I’ll do 2 loads during the day so 240 total dinners.
Those chickens look sooo good, man. Good on you doing something so nice for people in need!

Reactions: SCBBQ

Mine is built in so has a nice finished look.

View attachment 495187View attachment 495188
Nice set-up! I used to see some FE-100's at competitions and they have 4 or 5 racks, so when you mentioned 12 racks I didn't think of a spinner. :emoji_nerd:

I brined the chickens and it really appeared to extend the smoke time to get the right skin texture I’m used to . At 225 I typically smoke 2 hours and re-dip in sauce and go another 2 - with these brined , the time after the re-dip was extended 1.5 additional hours . So 5.5 hours smoke time . This will be even more when I have the load time for the big batch.
That chicken sure does look good.

Poultry skin is the bane of my existance. I know that if you smoke at 325F+ you will have zero chicken skin issues.
It may be worth a test to try this out and then put your sauce on during the last 15 minutes.

Why would I suggest this????

1. Fix/Speed up your cook times so they are faster if desired
2. Resolve skin issues with zero hassle or fiddling.... foolproof

Anything that makes this simpler and has the chicken come out tasting great is a win.

Ignore this if you feel you don't want to go down this route but a test run is where the rubber meets the road and gives you great info for your system and situation :)

Reactions: SCBBQ and 912smoker
I think that’s too hot for what I’ve done with this recipe in the past - lower temps and sauce soaking up smoke flavor has been successful many times for this recipe - what was new was brining , which helped with the larger portion of meat .. the sauce is full of sugar so it would burn at higher temps as well..

Inspired by another thread on here, I’m preparing to do a charity dinner in 2 weeks to raise money for a local church based kitchen that feeds people in need....
That's a really nice thing you're doing. Very rewarding to so many on so many different levels.....

That is some nice looking chicken. Your a good Man SCBBQ. Looks like your in SC. If your close enough I wouldn't mind stopping by to donate to your cause

You have a $20,000 smoker in your$100,000+ home commercial grade kitchen?
Can't hide money!!!:emoji_chart_with_upwards_trend::emoji_moneybag:🤑😂

• Haha
Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky