Big Cheese Smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hey John looks like you picked up some good choices there. Tillamook makes some great cheeses!

Not sure what the weather is like in AZ right now but best to do it while it is cool outside. Keep an eye on your temps. If you get into the mid 80s to lower 90s the cheese will start sweating pretty bad and could start melting and you will end up with a giant mess in your smoker.

Watch for hot spots in the smoker. When I used to do it in my MES the blocks that were above my pellet tray would get a lot more heat.

I usually run my cheese about 3 hours with apple pellets. Let is sit on the counter for a little while and then uncovered in the fridge overnight. Seal it up if you have a vac sealer and let it rest for a couple weeks.

Now this is just how I do it. I'm no cheese smoking expert by any means. Some people prefer less smoke and some people prefer more smoke. Some also like to eat it straight out of the smoker. I like to let mine mellow a little bit. Good luck with it let me know how it turns out!

Here is another one that I did awhile back.

John, starting out at 40 degrees here today and will only be 50 by time I smoke it for 3 or so hours so.

And I am going to do it in the Weber Genesis 330 which is much bigger than my smoker. Thinking about adding a pan of ice to help keep the heat down. And I will put my thermoworks dot ambient temp probe in to keep an eye on the temps.

Thanks for the advice!

John

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
John, starting out at 40 degrees here today and will only be 50 by time I smoke it for 3 or so hours so.

And I am going to do it in the Weber Genesis 330 which is much bigger than my smoker. Thinking about adding a pan of ice to help keep the heat down. And I will put my thermoworks dot ambient temp probe in to keep an eye on the temps.

Thanks for the advice!

John

Sounds like you got the perfect temps to do it! I found that freezing 2 liter bottles of water works better than a pan of ice if you have any laying around or time to do it. I need to get some going too but the weather is supposed to be crap here tomorrow...storms and 30 mph winds. Maybe Sunday!

Nice job. Gonna be some good stuff. My only question, Wasn't this already vac sealed from store bought? No need to undo redo IMO. It will keep till ready for smoke.:emoji_sunglasses:

Thanks! A lot of the seals were bad so I just re-did them in the vac sealer. Otherwise I would have left them alone.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky