Big Cheese Smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinVOLfan

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 27, 2018
Knoxville, TN
So I’ve been buying cheese on clearance when I can find it for probably the last 6-8 months and vac sealing it to keep it good. Was off work Monday and the temps were around 40 out so I figured it was a great day to get the stash out and give it some smoke.

Got it out if the drawers in my beer fridge and took it inside. This is what I’m working with.
upload_2019-2-21_9-37-13.jpeg

Muenster Swiss Gouda Cheddar White Cheddar Jalapeño Colby and some Cheddar Cheese Cubes

Never done the cubes before but got a 5 lb bag of them for $5 so couldn’t pass it up.

Unwrapped it all and got it ready for the smoke
upload_2019-2-21_9-40-15.jpeg

Used the smoke vault for this one. Really enjoy doing cheese in it. Set the AMNPS right under the water pan so it deflects any heat and don’t get hot spots like I do with the MES.
upload_2019-2-21_9-42-38.jpeg

Rolling apple pellets for 3 1/2 hours
upload_2019-2-21_9-43-11.jpeg

Great day to enjoy some cold ones and smoke some before the rain came in
upload_2019-2-21_9-45-26.jpeg

Pulled it after 3 1/2 hours and let it rest for a couple hours on the counter
upload_2019-2-21_9-46-34.jpeg

upload_2019-2-21_9-47-3.jpeg

Let it rest in the beer fridge for 24 hours
upload_2019-2-21_9-50-50.jpeg

Getting it all ready to vac seal up
upload_2019-2-21_9-51-19.jpeg

Should be good on cheese for a little while anyways and depleted my stash. Hoping to do one more big smoke before it gets too warm. Missed out on the Cabot habanero and always like to do some Colby and Monterey Jack too!

Nice color on that cheese SmokinVol. That's quite the stash. I've been hoarding away allot of cheddar when it goes on sale. Hopefully next month we'll have cheese smoking temps around here.

Point for sure.
Chris

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
Woo-Hooo!
Looks great to me!
I bet you find the cubes addicting. Really great snacking!
I like your basket you smoked the cubes in.

Now you need some Meat Snack Sticks to go with the cheese.
And a wheelbarrow fulla beer... :emoji_wink::emoji_laughing:

Awesome job and a great stash should last awhile. How did you like the chunks?

Warren

I haven’t tried them yet but they looked great coming off the smoker. Took on some good color. Funny you say that though my son grabbed a handful and started munching on them not thinking. He said very strong needed to rest awhile haha funny to watch his face though

Woo-Hooo!
Looks great to me!
I bet you find the cubes addicting. Really great snacking!
I like your basket you smoked the cubes in.

Now you need some Meat Snack Sticks to go with the cheese.
And a wheelbarrow fulla beer... :emoji_wink::emoji_laughing:

You know a wheelbarrow full a beer is never an issue. Always keep plenty on hand!

That basket is a Bradley rack I believe. I bought some off amazon about 4 years ago and forgot I had them but they come in handy for sure!

Looks great, agree on letting it rest for awhile for the best taste. When I went back to Wisconsin for a work trip and I drove from Colorado just so I could bring back lots of cheese to smoke.

Looks great, agree on letting it rest for awhile for the best taste. When I went back to Wisconsin for a work trip and I drove from Colorado just so I could bring back lots of cheese to smoke.

Man I’d love to get some Wisconsin cheese I don’t blame you at all for making the trip. I usually do 2-3 big cheese smokes a year. Lasts me most the hot months with giving blocks away to family and friends in between.

Usually trade cheese and bacon with family for other smoked goodies and beer from different areas that I can’t get around here

SmokinVOLfan SmokinVOLfan , John picked up a bunch of cheese from Sam's club today.

I have a amazen tube and am going to put it in the weber (no heat) and give it a go tomorrow. Any advice as I have never done this before.

I have jalapeno, Colby, Mild cheddar, Sharp cheddar, Havarti, Gouda, and Asiago.

Will cut the larger blocks into smaller pieces similar in size to yours pictured above.

I have pecan, apple and competition blend lumberjack pellets.

IMG_20200109_140223664.jpg

SmokinVOLfan SmokinVOLfan , John picked up a bunch of cheese from Sam's club today.

I have a amazen tube and am going to put it in the weber (no heat) and give it a go tomorrow. Any advice as I have never done this before.

I have jalapeno, Colby, Mild cheddar, Sharp cheddar, Havarti, Gouda, and Asiago.

Will cut the larger blocks into smaller pieces similar in size to yours pictured above.

I have pecan, apple and competition blend lumberjack pellets.

View attachment 427524

Hey John looks like you picked up some good choices there. Tillamook makes some great cheeses!

Not sure what the weather is like in AZ right now but best to do it while it is cool outside. Keep an eye on your temps. If you get into the mid 80s to lower 90s the cheese will start sweating pretty bad and could start melting and you will end up with a giant mess in your smoker.

Watch for hot spots in the smoker. When I used to do it in my MES the blocks that were above my pellet tray would get a lot more heat.

I usually run my cheese about 3 hours with apple pellets. Let is sit on the counter for a little while and then uncovered in the fridge overnight. Seal it up if you have a vac sealer and let it rest for a couple weeks.

Now this is just how I do it. I'm no cheese smoking expert by any means. Some people prefer less smoke and some people prefer more smoke. Some also like to eat it straight out of the smoker. I like to let mine mellow a little bit. Good luck with it let me know how it turns out!

Here is another one that I did awhile back.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky