Best wood for heat only

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hi All There are soooo many different type of woods, what would be the best for heat and long burning  in a COS?

Thanks Dan
Oak, if you can get some that is well seasoned. Maple, sugar maple is best but others such as red maple will be OK. Black Cherry and apple round out my list.

Any of the hard woods will do the trick. Oak, Maple, Hickory, and Mesquite. Fruit woods will burn quicker and not get quite as hot from my experience.

Hi All Came across this bundle in Home Depot.Would it be good for heat in my COS? Splits are 12" x 3--4".

Thanks Dan

PS I have apple/cherry/pean/hickory for flavoring.

Last edited:
Hi All what about the White Birch? Would it be good for heat.Hickory is kind of strong for my tatse.Don't see Red Oak around here. I was lucky enough to find the White Birch in HD.
icon14.gif

Thanks Dan

Birch is great on fish. 1 bajillion Indians in the northwest cannot be wrong. It is ok for chicken but never tried it on anything else.
Sent from my SM-W750V using Tapatalk

Birch is a softer wood so, itwill burn faster than oak and others. Should be fine for continuous burn, but be careful it may burn fairly hot so, try a test burn first before leaving it unattended.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky