• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Best wood for heat only

danbono

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 19, 2012
Hi All There are soooo many different type of woods, what would be the best for heat and long burning  in a COS?

Thanks Dan

smoke jenson

Smoke Blower
Joined Aug 20, 2011
Mesquite burns hot. Don't know how available it is in your neck of the woods though.

cliffcarter

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Feb 28, 2010

Hi All There are soooo many different type of woods, what would be the best for heat and long burning  in a COS?

Thanks Dan
Oak, if you can get some that is well seasoned. Maple, sugar maple is best but others such as red maple will be OK. Black Cherry and apple round out my list.

merrymanb

Fire Starter
Joined Dec 17, 2013
To me, hickory is best. Dont know about where you are but hickory is very plentiful in south texas.

flash

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Mar 30, 2007
Black Jack and the Red Oaks are good too.

bbqhead

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Aug 5, 2009
I agree with oak , a good heat source with not a lot of smoke flavor.

Last edited:

timberjet

Master of the Pit
Joined Jan 29, 2010
I go with maple on this one. very light smoke flavor. If you just want heat and no smoke hits meat then go with locust. Burns like coal.

hambone1950

Master of the Pit
Group Lead
Joined Jul 23, 2012
I agree with oak , a good heat source with not a lot of smoke flavor.
Agree. My wife prefers a subtle smoke flavor and I oblige with oak. Maple is good too. Mesquite is very strong. Should be used sparingly.

danbono

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 19, 2012
Hi All Looks like Oak is the winner. Now I just have to round up some Oak.

Thanks Dan

danbono

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 19, 2012
Hi All Would White Oak be a good for my COS, as far as heat goes?

Thanks Dan

dan - firecraft

Smoke Blower
Joined Sep 18, 2013
Any of the hard woods will do the trick. Oak, Maple, Hickory, and Mesquite. Fruit woods will burn quicker and not get quite as hot from my experience.

danbono

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 19, 2012
Hi All Came across this bundle in Home Depot.Would it be good for heat in my COS? Splits are 12" x 3--4".

Thanks Dan

PS I have apple/cherry/pean/hickory for flavoring.

Last edited:

padronman

Master of the Pit
Joined May 5, 2011
I really love Red Oak.  Great flavor but on the subtle side of things.  I don't use Mesquite.....to overpowering for my families tastes. 

Scott

danbono

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 19, 2012
Hi All what about the White Birch? Would it be good for heat.Hickory is kind of strong for my tatse.Don't see Red Oak around here. I was lucky enough to find the White Birch in HD.

Thanks Dan

timberjet

Master of the Pit
Joined Jan 29, 2010
Birch is great on fish. 1 bajillion Indians in the northwest cannot be wrong. It is ok for chicken but never tried it on anything else.
Sent from my SM-W750V using Tapatalk

danbono

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 19, 2012
Hi All The White Birch woiuld be used for heat only.. I have chunks of apple/cherry/pecan/hickory for flavor.

Thanks Dan

Joined May 12, 2014
Birch is a softer wood so, itwill burn faster than oak and others. Should be fine for continuous burn, but be careful it may burn fairly hot so, try a test burn first before leaving it unattended.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.