Best way to make Breakfast link sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

poacherjoe

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 7, 2019
Central Ca
I have always just made patty sausage but would like to make some link sausage. Most of what I have read points towards using sheep casings but the cost of these at P&S is around 18 bucks plus shipping and it will only stuff 15 pounds 0f links. Does anyone else have any suggestions as to a better price on the sheep casings or should I use a different casing?

I like sheep casings the best . I buy from The sausage maker , but through Amazon . Saves the shipping if you have prime .
I've also used the cellulose casings , poached them , then peeled them off .
Easiest way I've done for links is the just run them out the end of the horn , no casing . Cut the lengths and freeze on a sheet pan then vac .
Sheep
20190521_101504.jpg
Cellulose
20201028_075243.jpg
Poached and peeled . Then browned up .
20201029_090029.jpg
20201101_085254.jpg
You can get the same effect with the " no casing " method , just have to fully cook . I was going for brown and serve with the cellulose .

THANKS GUY'S. I ordered some sheep casings closer to home and I went with Eldons in Washington . I also ordered a few of their breakfast sausage seasonings to give them a try. I've used Owen's , P&S , TSM and Pittsburgh Spice seasonings in the past and I still have a few other companies that I would like to try out. I have not found a bad one yet but some stand out more than others.

I like sheep casings the best . I buy from The sausage maker , but through Amazon . Saves the shipping if you have prime .
I've also used the cellulose casings , poached them , then peeled them off .
Easiest way I've done for links is the just run them out the end of the horn , no casing . Cut the lengths and freeze on a sheet pan then vac .
Sheep
View attachment 517234
Cellulose
View attachment 517236
Poached and peeled . Then browned up .
View attachment 517237
View attachment 517238
You can get the same effect with the " no casing " method , just have to fully cook . I was going for brown and serve with the cellulose .
I can't help at all with making links... maybe someday I'll get out of my comfort zone. But have a breakfast craving now!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky