best way to keep meat for long duration after cooking?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nightperson

Original poster
Dec 22, 2013
Ive been asked to smoke a few butts for a friend for x mas- i plan to smoke them a few days before and they can reheat when they want to eat. My question is if i should pull and vacuum seal it for him or just refrigerate it for a few days, pull it himself when ready to eat.

Also he asked the best way to keep it moist for a few hrs after he outs it out to serve. Ive pulled one before and it was pretty dry after 30 min or so being in the open. I assume a lid on the pan would take care of this?

thanks- thats what i was thinking.  i'll try the sauce. looks great

as David said... one thing I will add... he can put it in a crock pot and pour a little apple juice in it along with all the drippings... keep it on warm with the lid on it...

Last edited:
I have done the vacuum sealed bags. Cooked pork 2 days ahead, pulled and sealed, and refrigerated. Then when ready put a pot of water on my gas crab burner dropped a couple bags of meat in to heat up. worked great. just added more bags to the water as needed.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky